Home Assistant - Paradox Alarm

The Home Assistant and its capabilities got me shocked (in a most positive way)

Has anyone successfully integrated the Paradox IP150 into home assistant?
I read how to do it but I am failing…and I also don’t really understand the MQTT stuff

Can anyone shed some light please? :smiley:

1 Like

@C.Potgieter Will be able to assist you here.

1 Like

Ill have to refresh my memmory, ive helped someone in the past with a paradox yes

@Bobby

What have you tried, what have you setup?
Where are you failing?

Ok, so I spent quite a few hours on this

I setup the MQTT Mosquitto broker, tested it and it looks like its working
I then configured the IP150 integration and I do have the alarm status as an option but it doesn’t really work as intended.
As per the screenshots, I managed to get the “panel” but, even after putting my pin, this does not arm or disarm anything.
Seems as its not communicating…and there is almost nothing more online that I can read to try and figure this out :frowning:

It also seams as the Paradox IP150 MQTT Adapter is not expecting a specific web page (the on from once you login to IP150 via the browser)…
I am running v1.38 of IP150 so not the new stuff.

Ok, I managed to connect my HA to Paradox (I am very persistent person :smiley: )

What I got is two lovelace cards

One for inside and one for outside and arming of inside and outside partitions works
Nest is to try and figure out how can I use one and ability to select inside/outside…

I also saw how to check which sensors detect or have detected movement, but that I do not need as if alarm triggers, Paradox will send me a push notification with info telling me which sensor triggered the alarm…

So far so good :slight_smile:

Does anyone maybe have any ideas about using one Alarm panel for bots partitions?

2 Likes

After spending a weekend of reading, reinstalling, troubleshooting, banging my head against the wall, I connected my mg5050 to HA.
I am able to arm inside and outside zones in modes that I want to arm them.

I also got the PIR sensors and the one thing that I am still to figure out is to get them to update state in HA when motion is detected…that is one thing that is not working and that is essential in order to do automations based on PIR activity (movement)…

Ok, got it working…

sensors.yaml as follows and I will then explain :expressionless:

- platform: mqtt
  state_topic: 'paradox/zone/state/19'
  name: "Lounge"
  payload_on: "On"
  payload_off: "Off"
  qos: 1
  device_class: motion

The above is incorrect and would not work with Paradox alarms in general…took me a few days, but I got to the bottom of it…

This however works great:

- platform: mqtt
  state_topic: 'paradox/zone/state/19'
  name: "Lounge"
  payload_on: "on"
  payload_off: "off"
  qos: 1
  device_class: motion

As shown, payloads must be EXACT, as far as key sensitivity [On] vs [on]

In case anyone faces the same problem, hopefully the above will help not to lose a lot of hours
:smiley:

1 Like

@Bobby

Started trying to setup my HA with Paradox. I have the same error messages with the Panel card. What did you do to get it working.

I can’t seem to find the correct naming convention of the alarm_control_panel.

The guide I am following said I can get it in the web interface of the Ip150 but I cant see it.

I took a different approach than using the IP150. You can use the ESP boards and connect the panel’s RS232 port to the ESP. The ESP becomes a WiFi gateway and connects to MQTT. I’m still using the old ESP8266 but here is a link to the ESP32 version.

This allow me to have DISARM, ARM HOME, ARM NIGHT and ARM AWAY functionality within HA. The alarm zones also become sensors in HA so you can use it in your code for automation.

1 Like

Hi n00bster,
What are the error messages you are getting?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “ip150_mqtt.py”, line 140, in
ip_mqtt.loop_forever()
File “ip150_mqtt.py”, line 133, in loop_forever
mqc.loop_forever()
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/paho/mqtt/client.py”, line 1782, in loop_forever
rc = self.loop(timeout, max_packets)
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/paho/mqtt/client.py”, line 1177, in loop
rc = self.loop_read(max_packets)
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/paho/mqtt/client.py”, line 1568, in loop_read
rc = self._packet_read()
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/paho/mqtt/client.py”, line 2300, in _packet_read
data = self._sock_recv(self._in_packet[‘to_process’])
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/paho/mqtt/client.py”, line 660, in _sock_recv
return self._sock.recv(bufsize)
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘recv’”

@Bobby s there any way we can communicate directly? here is my discord if you want to try that. Brawlbro#9256

Nice, that’s even more elegant than the Pi Zero method I used using PAI

From your log it doesn’t look like you configured the MQTT properly.
HA communicates via IP150 via MQTT. That is the only way as paradox alarm is built on it.

Maybe if we can take a step back and you can explain in more detail what have you installed and how you configured it would help

Yes, I’ve thrown InsiteGold out the door last year use PAI (Paradox Alarm Integration ) module on HA to integrate with my Paradox system, works like a charm.

Can help.

G

Hey Bobby, having installed the IP150+ module and accourding to Paradox and my IT guys this newer unit (compared to the IP150) won’t let you integrate Paradox to my HA environment. And true, after setting up my MQTT, there is now connection enabled between HA and the IP150+ module. Any hacs you can share, I know this thread goes back to 2021. I am desperated to set up my own alarm panel in HA rather to relay on the faulty cloudbased Insight Gold app, which is a joke in terms of handling and speed.

Thanks in advance
Ben

Hi Ben,

Welkom hier. I also looked into HA/paradox but ended up going for Olarm. The nice thing is, they are linked to the Alarm Company, and i can controll it remotely. They have 2x sim cards for redundancy, so it even works in LS!

Was also looking into connect my alarm to HA, way but decide against it. I heard too many things where HA is updating the software, and things get broken. Not willing to risk my home security on that.

But i do agree, if you can get it to work, that will be awsome!!

My plan was to setup the lights; using the motion sensors inside and outside the house; to be triggered when there is movement.

Hey Ben, sorry to hear that its is such a struggle. Back in the day I tried to downgrade one “upgraded” IP50 and have failed. There was some writeups on the net but I just didn’t come right.

I am really unsure of IP150+…I know that the units with older firmware (mine is 1.34) work like a charm…
Did you maybe try PAI, the one @georgelza mentioned above?
Does the IP150+ have web interface and if it does, how does it look? The HA paradox integration is based on MQTT and on WebInterface that it on IP150

Hi Bobby,
As far as I know they even removed more functionality in the recent web interface.
and that coupled with Google locking their side up makes sending email notifications out even more difficult.
@Ben1709 I use the Paradox Alarim Integration module (PAI), you can join the chat : paradox-alarm-interface/community - Gitter
Jevgeni the developer is pretty much permanently on there, helping with answers.
and ye, there are problems with the newer firmware and don’t know of anyone back/downgraded successfully.
G