Hi from Somerset West

That made me giggle…

Quite a large German community in these parts.

I suppose I need to temper my “up on the hill” statement a bit, I’m only halfway up the hill. 'Tis a bit expensive when you really get up the hill (towards Spanish farm et al :slight_smile: ).

They expand Broadway a year or 2 ago. now the traffic is much better!! Jis, we use to sit 15 min+ to get from the mall to our house!
Now also, its a racetrack after hours!!!

1 Like

Love those German customers!
They can be your best and worst customers!!! (I use to work in the mall)
If they start with, In Germany, we would… then you know… Die einde is naby!!! :slight_smile:

Yup. In fact this house I’m sitting in (we moved 18 months ago), there is quite a clear difference between the things done by the German owner (circa 1996), and the things done after that.

How did you not know this for so long. :joy:

Seems like different forums have different issues these days.

I still visit the myBB thread occasionally as I still get notifications from Tapatalk, but it’s mainly for entertainment seeing people fight about useless things.

1 Like

You can never have enough… problem is always space though.

At least we have good winters in GP.

My 11.6kw of panels almost at 40kwh a day now.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen anything above 29kwh since 19 may. Today was the best day since 22 may with nearly 28kWh.

At least the winter dip is behind me from here on out. Only July and then I’ll have 12 months of pv production.

:astonished: You’ve even gone bigger than me. It’s been a long journey and never thought I’d get here.

Going to 6.4 kWp, after that no more roof space, replacing the 355’s on the NE roof with 540 watt panels.
Solar is really is a crazy rabbit hole with no end

1 Like

Angle and direction plays a huge role in winter. My peak in January/ Feb was around 35 kWh and that was on a single inverter With east / west panels. I was happy with that setup.

With the sun angles changing and the days getting shorter, that dropped to around 19kwh in early June. So added the 2nd inverter and another 2 strings.

Currently have 8x420w east facing canadians and 8 x 390 East facing JA on inverter 1. 8x 360 west facing canadians and 5x 460w north facing jinko on inverter 2.

I was actually very surprised to find that the 360w canadian strings performs better in low light than the 390w JA Mono. They are both on the same roof, 1 above the another. The JA seems to be marketed as performing better in low light though. :man_shrugging: Real world shows otherwise. Still busy with my monitoring setup and will then be able to pull nice graphs for everything.

1 Like

Who needs roof space.

3 Likes

Definitely. I’ve settled that my next upgrade will be a vertical axis wind turbine mounted on the top corner of the gable.

Probably a cheap 4kw import from Aliexpress to test the water with. Including a controller and inverter and then ac couple it on the aux of the sunsynk.

If i can get a steady 1.5kw of wind generation then I will be happy.

Somerset West is windy so there’s enough wind available.

Pic of the roof gable where I want to mount the VAWT.

Do you know if parabolic mirrors would make a difference? Can’t find anything in the net regarding trying to reflect the sun on to the panels to improve production.

Thinking of those mirrors that they have on the road at blind corners or concealed driveways. Mounting two of them at the south side of the array so they won’t cause any shade as the sun moves.

I saw some videos of people using them and claiming it was good BUT it becomes far too complicated. You would also need big enough mirrors to reflect equally on all parts of all panels.

That then becomes a bit of an eyesore and a bit of a hazard in strong winds and hail.

When I started this journey I was looking a a tracking system from east to west. It was just becoming too complicated and expensive though. Was just easier to add more panels.