So it is official, the chip providing four of the eight ports on the ASUS RT-AC88U went the way of not working anymore. It worked fine for years, but apparently it is an issue with the units.
I would really appreciate some advice specific to my needs for a Ubiquiti system, as I’ve only heard good things about them. Below are my needs:
- Double story house with many walls, so do not assume good wireless signals between rooms.
- I need network ports for hardwired connections in the same location as my fibre modem for:
1xNVR for cameras
1xNetwork cable running to my Venus GX
6xNetwork cables running to the rest of my house (yes, 10 <> 8, but at the moment I connect the two Pi’s on two of my other routers part of the mesh, I currently have 1xAC88U, 1xAC68U and 2xAC66U)
- I have network points in all the necessary rooms (cables running back to main router). In those rooms, I need to have both WIFI, but also hard wired connections for at least two devices. For example, in my study I have a laptop, a desktop as well as whatever project I am working on that might need to be connected to the network. And I need WIFI.
To specify it per room:
- Main bedroom - Have a network point, Need WIFI access point, need 2x open network points
- 3xBedrooms/Studies - Have 1xnetwork point each, Need WIFI access (these can technically share the same WIFI access point, at the moment they get WIFI from my main router in the passage cupboard). Also need at least one open network point (for Desktop/whatever)
- Study - Have 1xnetwork point, Need WIFI access point, need at least 2x open network points
- TV room - Have 1xnetwork point, Need WIFI access point, need 4x open network points
- Kitchen - Need WIFI access point (doesn’t have it yet, room with very poor WIFI at the moment)
- Living room - Need WIFI access, but should be able to share with TV room if TV room has a good one.
- Outside, within 20m of main bedroom, Tasmota devices, currently using the WIFI from the router in the main bedroom.
- It might be good to have a type of outside WIFI unit to meet the need of (7) as well as the need of me wanting to have WIFI outside…
I do run Home Assistant and use Modbus, so all my IPs for devices in the house should be static. I also want a device that can create a guest network. It needs to be a mesh network, as in I don’t want to worry about dropping off VOIP calls when walking around the house on my cellphone. But I’m assuming these things are pretty standard on Ubiquiti Unifi?
I’d really appreciate someone to help me spec the parts I need. I’m willing to just take the dive once and get it done with, but wouldn’t want to waste money on unnecessary parts… Or have issues, which is why I am reaching out to the forum with all the knowledge!