Experience with Pylontech bank

I wanted to share my experience with my battery bank in the hope that others might to.

I started out with two US2000B PylonTechs but then quickly added two more. I later added a US3000 when I decided to venture further to the dark side and be less reliant on eskom.

So far my batteries have done in the region of 700 cycles, mostly down to 30% state of charge daily and all 5 batteries are still showing a state of health of 100%.

I suspect the secret to their good health is that I charge the batteries with all they can take early in the morning to keep the temperatures down and I have limited the draw on the batteries to 1000W after sunset, the balance coming from the grid if its available.

I have been very happy with the PylonTechs over the four years I have had them and I have recommended them to anyone asking for advice. I would gladly buy them again without hesitation.

Here are my stats this morning which some might find interesting. The highest cell difference between any of the batteries in the bank is 5mV and its interesting to see how the BMS shares the loads between the batteries.

The temps are a bit high but the bank is stored in my garage and I try to keep it cool as far as possible.

This is a typical sunny day with my home automation running the show:

And here are the stats for my bank from my Home Assistant showing a 24 hour period with minimum and maximum values

Anyone care to share their data? I am very interested to see how the data compares on other installations?

My Pylontech bank initially started off in March 2020, with four U2000’s and added two U3000’s in August 2020. So the majority of my bank has been active for 20 months.

Current SOH of the whole bank is 97% and I use them to the max, with my min state of discharge set at 30%. Winter months, I use the full 70% and during summer, only around 50%.

The bank is stored inside, right next to an open window, so the battery temps range between 25 and 30 degrees, depending on the outside temps.

Also very happy with them thus far, as I have not had any issues with them at all. Just plug in and enjoy :smile:

Well done on keeping the health at 100%.

I got mine March 2020 as well, three U3000Bs. I estimate around 650 cycles down to 30%, but I see mine is on 96% state of health. I also limit draw in the afternoon but I let them use as much as necessary at night.

I have however not had any trouble whatsoever for one day with them.

Batteries are in the garage so might be getting a bit hot.

i have two Pylontech 2000 batteries, in use since August 2020, recycle down to 20% DoD everyday, just flipped to 97% SoH, also no problems.

You can probably safely go a lot deeper than 20%, without affecting lifespan.

4xU3000Bs, DoD is generally 20%, unless there’s loadshedding in the air, in which case I up it to 40%.

Have gone down to sub 10% twice due to loadshedding.

1 year old, relatively hot room, 98% health, no issues at all.

Mmm, interesting. I might start going down to 20% but perhaps consider limiting draw at night. Not sure what these batteries like more?

I think I said it elsewhere, but I don’t go below 30% SoC. Main reason for this is if there’s load shedding at 5 or 6 am, there’s still enough charge to last till the sun comes up. If there’s a slightly cloudy day predicted for the next day, SoC doesn’t drop below 40%. In the case of heavy clouds / weather then I don’t run on batteries at night.

@Deon_in_ZA Any idea what your current draw is on your bank?

@gbyleveldt I’ve been doing the same with my bank.

Which battery models do you have in your bank?

I’ve got 6 of the US2000B batteries. I’m running a Goodwe inverter though

My BMS sets the max charge and discharge at 174A, but the max I have ever seen them charging or discharging is around 87A and then only for short periods.

Are you running a high batt DC voltage goodwe, or 48v? How is the management, reporting, control of the goodwe?