EVSE - custom for solar

Now THAT is what I’m talking about … convert existing vehicles and expand their usage.

2 Likes

Well no it doesn’t make much sense on a semi-modern car other than a proof of concept. That being said Rimac started when Mate put an electric motor in his BMW E30 racecar.

I also found this conversion which is locally produced. - https://13252dea-4663-462a-88ef-389669629c7f.filesusr.com/ugd/aa2281_a5abfd86032b45cda4dbcf4f77ab4240.pdf

Excellent work as there are zero changes that need to be made to the car so everything is can be restored back to its original state afterwards.
A lot of vintage cars may go this way was it becomes harder and harder to get spares.

Just, if you need to ask how much it costs, you cant afford it.

1 Like

FYI there are locally built charge stations available. I have met with these guys when they were based at CSIR. No idea how their prices compare vs e.g. the Zappi.
They manage some of the existing charge points in SA.

Well, in the States side you can buy a second hand tesla motor and gearbox setup and build it in to a vehicle Tesla Car and Truck Motors for sale | eBay

There some guys that even mod them in to Porsche vehicles.

Quite a few in Capetown, If you visit Belville City Council for example you will Find charging stations in their parking lot, the same with quite a lot of Under Ground parking lots in the area.

Yes, thats cool but why?

For the 356 I understand. The engine is a relic. It has no power, struggles to start, sounds like a beetle and needs constant and expensive maintenance. It really takes the joy out of owning one which you are never sure of its reliability. Hot starts on those are fun as the fuel drips back into the carbs when it’s warm.

My removing the weakest point on the car you can enjoy it a lot more and even use it as a daily driver if you would. A more modern 911 as a beautifully engineered engine, why replace it with electric?

I checked the Gridcars map recently and was pleasantly surprised. I mean, there’s still a lot to do and @plonkster’s holidays would have to remain southerly or east, but it was better than I thought.

https://www.chargestations.co.za/ChargeMap.aspx?UserGroupID=facf9751-58ca-490f-8ca5-d2b433e6b2e5

Through our partnership with Jaguar Land Rover SA, we have successfully established a national EV charging highway – the Jaguar Powerway – consisting of 22 charging stations along the N3 between Gauteng and Durban and the N1 between Gauteng and Cape Town. Cape Town is connected to the Garden Route with a series of charging stations along the N2 all the way to East London. The majority of charging stations on the public network are 60kWh fast chargers.

2 Likes

This came out a few years ago. It is not a Tesla or Leaf but it is electric !

I met with the owner in Pta and drove it. The first impression is the lack of engine sound !
Quite underpowered and had lead acid batteries. A change to lithiums would be a radical improvement.
Here is pic of engine bay.

Link to the youtube vid is dead.

Try this one Beetle Transformation (zingBug) - YouTube

Because you can :wink: hahahahah!!! If I can get my hands on something like this, then I will do the mod just for the fun of it.

OOOoooo yes, I own a 1976 Aircooled so know all the things around them. Did some improvements on my and running like a watch now. Just jump in and turn the key and you go. I’m busy building a new motor for it with everything brand new in but everything is performance parts for a turbo setup.

@Jaco a nice mod for Bugzi…

Haha. Yes, there is a 30kW charge station at Laingsburg. It’s conceivable that a car with a 400km range could make the trip to my in-laws and back… with an extra 4 hours spent charging (the entire trip is currently about 5 hours long). So yeah… getting there slowly…

1 Like

Speaking of, the BMW iX is on display at Auto Atlantic in the CBD. 600km of range and not badly priced (For an electric car). R1.6m or R2m depending on spec.

I’m waiting to see what Toyota has up their sleeves. They seem to be aiming for affordable BEVs with less battery. And that really resonates with me, because I think that’s the primary role EVs should fill: The short distance runs in the city where you spend 90% of your time. You don’t even need a huge charger network to make this happen: Your car will charge at home, in the garage (or off a charge point next to your home/flat/wherever), or possibly at work in the parking lot at some point, off a 20A 230V point, because you’re really only going to need maybe 10kWh (tops) a day to go where you have to go…

1 Like

They’ve also got a bit of a hangup on hydrogen, so I wouldn’t hold my breath personally. The Corolla Cross Hybrid looks nice, but they seem to be doing everything they can to delay electrification as much as possible. So yes, by the time they release something, it should be good, but you might not be allowed to drive anymore.

It’s more than that. It seems like they are trying not to put all their eggs in one basket, but instead they want to have vehicles in every segment.

Granted, Toyota does seem to be the odd one out. Everyone else is committing to an all-electric future, but Toyota (who is normally not stupid!) is holding out. After being the first company to build a hybrid that they actually sold to the public? :slight_smile: That’s a bit weird… they have some kind of strategy.

I expect Toyota will have an EV offering not only before I lost my eyesight, but likely within the next decade.

Nissan is planning to bring in the new one to SA again. https://www.autotrader.co.za/cars/reviews/nissan/leaf/nissan-leaf-greta-thunberg-would-love-this-car/5923

If the price look good and the opportunity arrive, then I will check to buy one.

I had the opportunity to drive one for a day few years ago when Nissan SA imported some. Funny part was when you drive and the only thing you can here is this electrical motor sound, people will slow down to see what you drive. One thing, it can accelerate really fast. It eventuality ended up by a friend of mine that bought it and a person at his work bought the other one. They did a new battery upgrade for it last year.

They vinyl wrap the vehicle white when Nissan was busy promoting the vehicle in SA but the actual color of the car is this electrical blue.

Here is photo of his one with the other persons that works with him and they running solar at work so they charge them at work. They on CA number plates now.

And his solar setup at his house where he parts and charge it.

1 Like

Is that a Lead Acid battery I see in the engine bay on the right? I thought they are on Lithium, or is the LA used for something else?

I found this website a while back. They import hub conversions kits.
I was looking at converting my X1/9 , but the costs is still a bit high for my budget.