ESS Grid Setpoint

Ah, so that’s why a 100W feed-in limit works out so well: 2% of 5kW (I have a Fronius Primo 5.0-1) = 100W.

No, I suspect it is entirely coincedental. The 100W offset goes on TOP of the existing 100W that you set, so the Multi is going to aim for 200W while the PV-inverter aims for 100W. And there is a bunch of logic in there to cut back on the offset if it is very close to maxed-out, logic which I am not touching if I don’t have to, but which I also don’t fully understand.

Well, whether it’s due to the stars being aligned in my favour or something else, it’s working perfectly for me, so I wouldn’t want you to change it anyway!

I have this as well but my setpoint is 10w. I use an SMS/Twitter Node Red flow to send me SMS’s and “Tweets” for various things that are happening. So its a bit of a pain to have the extra messages. I also use Telegram to change my Min SOC if needed.

Well, you just jinxed me.

Been running with a Zero setpoint now for years.

Nowhere near the system yet I just got 4 resets in ±5min. Two registered as Grid Lost, the other 2 no message whatsoever.

Found it:

Bugger me. Right on the day, I put the Critical loads back to the main DB. :man_facepalming:

Oops, my setpoint is at -20W….

Groetnis

Lolz. I’ve settled on 40w now. The lowest I can go without constant disconnects.

Something to remember about small setpoints, especially negative ones. Very very noisy measurements this low down…

I’m dealing with a German customer right now who is also using -20W… that number has a very negative connotation to me right now.

+10w? @plonkster

I’m trying to balance disconnects and money saving :wink:

I’m not sure it is worth it to be honnest.

If I assume R3/kWh for the price of a unit and 20w gridpoint (assuming the inverter is perfect and can stick to that gridpoint like glue - on avg. it should be close):

20w x 24h x 30days = 14 400Wh or 14.4kWh for a month.
14.4kWh * R3 = R43.20 / month
R518.40 / year or R5184 over 10 years (if you are blue your inverter should last that long :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Signal to nise or some such…

In ideal conditions (no nothing is even close to that real World) with large loads switching, what would be a good setting? Considering in my case, the meter is not a problem at any setting.

Mine was at -20W as that seems to, on average, leave my consumption at 0W over a period.

Groetnis

If -20W works for you, that is fine. It also depends on what you are using to measure the input. Carlo Gavazi meters are quite noisy under about 30W, although even there it varies, the ET340 (which I found to be very slow, but I heard rumours that newer ones might be faster) is apparently better at getting this right. The EM24 and the ET112 has filtering issues. It’s okay 99% of the time, and then around the zero point, or on large load changes (or maybe some combo, I don’t know exactly), it becomes all donkey-cart-trying-to-find-the-road…

I stick with the default 50W setpoint. I know that means I import about 1kWh a day just on setpoint. Don’t care. I’m only about 50% self-sufficient anyway.

So maybe set grid point @ 50W and my Extra Solar feed in, say at 200W or so on AC only to counter that?

An engineer I know found, for his setup using 3 x 3kva MPII’s, that on 70w less is pushed back over a year.

Comparing his graphs with mine, me on 20w, I pushed back more.

And the meter charges us for that.

I recon each one has a sweet spot dependant on their loads.

Once I have the big bank connected, I will re-assess, as I have more panels than loads/battery at the moment.

FWIW, I do send -250w back on the Multiplus 12v when I have it connected, at night. :wink:
I trust the big system to “slow down” at the time, as I feed the main DB, not the Critical Loads DB.

Yea, I know, a TTT move that.