Eskom's master plan

Just wondering if Eskom has a strategy.

If I had to manage the political impact of Eskom’s failure then I would develop a simple master plan with milestones that the voters can understand. Then, continuously, via all communication channels, report progress against and educate voters on the strategy. Simple, small but frequent deliverables is what you would need as milestones. Preferably a few, even small deliverables, on time, before the next election.

Is the idea that a hybrid system is mostly the fractal pattern for the lower levels of future energy distribution? Everybody with a roof or space have a hybrid system which feeds into the community’s hybrid system, which feeds into the city’s hybrid system, and so on. Or is there a better pattern?

1 Like

The Germans had a go at this quite some time ago. There were incentives to install PV panels on your roof but you didn’t get access to this power. It was fed back to the utility and they were to distribute it appropriately.
My understanding is that this system failed due to the nature of RE power. Too much excess power when you don’t need it… (Subsequently the residents of those houses were encouraged to use and manage this power for their own use)

Batteries, you need batteries, that’s the key….

Groetnis

Ja-nee! I think at that time they thought they could manage this power centrally. Clearly the size of their network wasn’t big enough (i.e. the weather was not varied enough over that area)
The planned sea cable supplying PV power from Morocco to England would be another story however. Stream Babbage: The urgency to green the electric grid by The Economist | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

ESKOM a strategy?
can a terminal patient having been on life support, being brain dead and having lost limbs and organs to necrosis and various other systemic implosions and at which a variety of bacteria and scavengers have already consumed whatever putrid rotten flesh is exposed can have a plan?
a true reflection of whoever believes they are in charge - sick

25 OCGT’s - that is pushing the limits and EAF on the level…

*Key*
*Renewable Energy*
*CSP: Concentrated Solar Power*
*IPP: Independent Power Producer*
*OCGT: Open Cycle Gas Turbine*

*Demand*
*ILS:  Interruptible Load Shed (This is consumer load(s) that can be contractually interrupted without notice or reduced by remote control or on instruction ...)*
*LC: Load Curtailment*
*LS: Load Shed*
*VPS: Virtual Power Supply*

‘Congratulations, you are now the head of the largest organised crime syndicate in South Africa,’ forensic investigator Ben Theron told newly appointed Eskom CEO André de Ruyter in 2020.

1 Like

Ok, let me just say this … you know … uhm … nope, I’ve got nothing.

I must tell you, so far I am enjoying his book. I’m on page 48. Just a few pages back, he referred to a misguided IOL journalist who tried to dig up dirt on his Sasol days as a “muckraker”. Which is not only funny, it is so often true of the media. They rake muck around.

(The report was written by a reputable firm, or at least, that firm was hired to do it, but the report was never published because the evidence was just too flimsy. When the report was dug up later and someone attempted to use it for a smear campaign, the firm immediately sent a letter that the report was retracted. So when the IOL muckraker showed up, they sent him the retraction letter, which sent his entire news story up in smoke).

Also, how many people know (or remember) that De Ruyter was also a candidate in the previous search for a CEO, when Phakamani Hadebe got it? That 28 (twenty freekin’ eight) black candidates were asked to apply and they refused? And that he was asked to apply again in 2019?

Then, when he got it (and not the other guy the media thought was the forerunner), they ran with a “failed paper-company executive” story, ignoring his history in Sasol, and then shortly afterwards started digging in the very same Sasol history for dirt.

I tell you… muckrakers.

1 Like

The book is answering a lot of my questions.

1 Like

:rofl:

eish, en ek het gedink die ANC is :see_no_evil:… weer verkeerd gewees :laughing:

a truism comes to mind But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire [dung]. 2Pet 2:22

On the topic of AdeR’s book. The Econ Oil story has released a fox in the hen house.

AdeR claims that Econ Oil was merely a middleman, that the company started out from within Sasol, didn’t even have its own infrastructure, and added markups way beyond what was reasonable.

But, interestingly the company is actually older than state capture, at least as properly understood. It was founded in 2001. The source for this is Econ oil’s own website so it is unclear if this reflects the date that the idea came up to the founder, or if there was more to it.

In 2013, they opened their own facilities. Google maps have photos. It looks like a single tank of some sort, which is being repaired at the time:

Selection_433

And it was opened by none other than Malusi Gigaba.

They make a LOT of noise about it being entirely black and female owned (not hard, it has one female black director, Nothemba Mlonzi).

This is rather interesting: It means this company operated for 12 years, even managing to land lucrative fuel oil deals without its own facilities! The evidence is right there, on the internet.

Whatever facilities it’s got doesn’t look world class at all. Sadly Google Streetview doesn’t have coverage of the area.

Now it seems to me this really is the expectation: That because you are black, and female, therefore you are entitled to this sort of empowerment. I do not disagree with the empowerment, what I disagree with is that this can be done while charging more money. Give the deal to a small upcoming company, by all means! Employ people from the area, that is good and right! But do it at competitive or at least justifiable prices.

It is almost as if, once you’ve established that you are entitled to benefit, that entitlement is pushed way further than it can reasonably stretch. It is almost as if this lady really believes she is being wronged, in other words.

Sadly some think that contracts are for life, thus the wronged belief