Eskom ... is there ANY chance? In CPT there is

Even if NERSA approved soon I still don’t see my Muni being able to implement it… Not soon anyway…

Maybe a bit more concise with costing tables:
Moneyweb’s take on this

Groetnis

Had to LoL at them using Soweto as an example of who would pay more.

1 Like

Ironic to say the least…

Groetnis

I specifically looked for that in the Eskom docs since you mentioned it originally. It’s noted that HomeFlex and HomePower won’t have any reactive charges. There’s a table.

Happy about that, since as you say, that would complicate matters quite a bit.

George has always been quite progressive, but hope they roll this one back a bit.

yup, in the Eskom proposed tariffs the reactive energy charge is included in the basket of “ancillary service charge” per kWh usage.

The Eskom proposed residential SSEG tariffs also have 1:1 feed-in rate which the George rate does not have. For any of the non-metro municipalities I think things get very tricky in terms of the negative impact on revenue through rising Eskom bulk tariffs, reduced electricity sales etc. so I doubt they can implement the 1:1 feed-in rate for instance (at least will prefer not to).

The Mosselbay municipality is planning to build a PV plant near Mossdustria. They are already busy upgrading the high-voltage cables to handle this. Would be intresting to see how that impacts any pricing changes in the future.

1 Like

I see Shoprite announced they will borrow R3.5 Billion for their renewable plans, going greener, call it what you want.
Last week Tiger Brands announced they will take 3 of their big manufacturing plants in SA partially off the grid, I think the first one by next year.

Surely this should help quite a bit already and make Eskom happy depending how you look at it, it will certainly take a lot of pressure off the system.
I still can’t help thinking at some point government / Eskom will wake up realizing, oh shoot, some of our biggest PAYING clients is suddenly gone, what now?

I see the SOE as an enabling entity. If the country needs the service and no one is providing it at a cost effective rate that covers what the country would require then the SOE would be created to do that.
Then when private companies can do it better and cheaper like what happended with the Post Office the SOE have done it’s duty and should step aside and die a silent death.
So when that time comes for Eskom it means we have good private companies doing that instead.

Of course if you license that SOE as a monopoly then it is just bad and it cannot work like my pipe dream :slight_smile:

And that is what is NOT happening - they are propped up to continue as “employers”

Back in 2008 when Eskom started building the new coal plants, a previous employer of mine made that very comment. He said that one day, Eskom will announce that they have solved the problem and they have capacity now, and all the buyers will be gone.

In many ways it is already happening. When Botswana built a new plant (commissioned in 2014) to be less reliant on imports, for example.

1 Like

Every year they make a made claim and then get awarded around half of it.

1 Like

It’s a bit like your average wage strike. Every year we ask for a double-digit number and we strike 6 weeks to get it, every year we settle for 7% plus an agreement on next year…

A few evenings ago, the spot price of Energy in The Netherlands was over €1/kWh. That’s more than 4 times what we pay in Cape Town, and Cape Town is like twice what Eskom people pay. It’s not that I am without sympathy for the Eskom-supplied, I just find a weird thing in Saffers where we want Eskom to fix it, but we don’t want to help them do it…

(Yeah. 38% is a bit much. But I suspect that if I drill down to it, it is a worst-case scenario, and as @calypso said, they usually only get about half of it, which in my estimation would be about fair).

Really Plonkster? My 2021 figures… Cost per unit when you include fixed charges is over R4 I think…

1 Like

OK, fair enough… I’m talking about people paying R1.67/kWh with like a R200 connection fee. That’s sooooo low…

or R1.67 and R300 connection fee… :stuck_out_tongue:

Loving my big move to the “small town by the sea”

1 Like

I think what I am getting at, is that the price of electricity MUST go up. Perhaps not by 38%, but I have also been around long enough to know that those fighting against the establishment is not immune from employing the same worst-case tactics. I’m sure if you really dig into it, this is a worst case scenario based on them getting everything they ask for including some arrears still dragging through some court somewhere. I hate such inflating of the dangers just as much when “my side” is doing it :slight_smile: