Eskom ... is there ANY chance? In CPT there is

If it happens then not great news…

ANC delegates want Eskom moved to Department of Mineral Resources and Energy

Delegates to the ANC’s national policy conference have mooted that Eskom and other state-owned companies should be rehoused in their line departments, rather than under the umbrella of the Department of Public Enterprises.

If adopted at the ANC’s national conference in December, Eskom would be moved to the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy.

Agreed and now another delay… by Mr Energy

https://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article/mantashe-confirms-45--to-60-day-delay-in-renewables-bidding-to-cater-for-doubling-of-procurement-to-5-200-mw-2022-08-01/rep_id:4136

1 Like

I am in the industry, but this I cannot understand. The logic of moving this out, when already it was overprescribed by what the Grid Access Unit stated? There is not “change” in what the bid entails, only more allocation.

My feeling here is that this is a simple Mantashe power play against Ramaphosa’s announcement, I cannot see him (being a Union guy and a coal guy). This will cause a bit more loss of confidence in the entire plan.

If the Government can put deed to word in what they now proclaimed we can all benefit.

@Scubadude , I would love to see your numbers. I did a calculation for an Ruraflex Eskom connection with actual Rands and calculated a 7-year payback using arbitrage only, not even including loss production hours.

As for how the batteries will work, from a Grid stabilisation point of view it will be magnificent. You can easily compare the ROI to that of the “old” pump storage schemes. Eskom effectively buys electricity at Off-peak pricing (around 40c or less internal) and then sells it at Peak pricing (R4+ or even doing it to avoid Gas Generation at around R3.33 to R5/kWh or something like that…). In the SA context, it will pay for itself very very quickly.

1 Like

Exactly!

Was inevitable.

Apply to sell surplus energy back to us
We are giving businesses the chance to sell surplus Small-scale Embedded Generation energy back to us, at the approved City SSEG feed-in tariffs.

Who is eligible?
To be eligible to sell surplus electricity to us, you must have a City-approved SSEG installation and must register on our vendor supplier database.

You will need to be registered on our Supplier Database as a service provider, as well as the National Treasury Central Supplier Database.

Find out how to register on our Supplier Database and what you will need to register with the CSD.

To apply:

1. Visit our Procurement Portal
  2. Find Tender No: EOI/001/2022/23 – Expression of interest – application to sell surplus SSEG energy to City of Cape Town
  3. Apply by Wednesday, 31 August 2022.

Find out more about selling surplus SSEG energy to the City.

1 Like

Still just businesses at this point (not residential), but steps in the right direction.

Mayor said, do it with business first, get the systems in place, once tested, we are next.

1 Like

Do we know what the “approved City SSEG feed-in tariffs” are?

It was mentioned R1.10 per kwh, incl or excl VAT I’m not sure.
Plus another R0.25c on top of that, for spending monies to acquire the equipment, incl excl the question.
Then there is the max breaker limit currently in place I’m wondering about.

Time will tell.

I assume that the rates will increase as the general Eskom rates increase. Hopefully at least in line, so as Eskom gets more expensive, so does the feed-in rate become better.

The feed-in limit based on the breaker is unlikely to change as it’s a technical limitation, so domestic will remain capped at ~ 3.6kW.

Maybe they increase it in different areas based on local conditions, but then they’re more likely to get flak for not being “fair”, so I doubt it.

The clue is in the “incentive” part - the actual rate is lower than R1.10, and the incentive will likely fall away at some point. Previous rate changes were also not at the same rate as the buy tariffs.

Like cell phones deals of the previous decade, where the first year of a two-year contract had some sort of incentive added.After a while, you’d see the ad and in the back of your head a voice asks “And what happens after that?” :slight_smile:

What’s a little funny about all this, is that in general us humans like cost-reflective tariffs. Just give it to me straight man! The moment Eskom tried to do that with a tariff, everyone went crazy and the media told us “ThEy WaNt to TaX YuR S0laR man!”.

I’m so over this culture of dumb-down.

@plonkster google quickly " mushroom management " :wink: Urban Dictionary: mushroom management

I actually stole that expression, “culture of dumbdown”, from this song. It’s religious, so if that is not your thing, scroll past or skip directly to the 3-minute mark. Do love the way this guy gets into social issues though, although the music is probably 15 years younger than I am :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with this, but I have to add that people in general also dislike change. So certain conditions existed, people planned around it, and then those conditions are proposed to change, invalidating ROI calculations, for example. While it might be proposed to be more fair, the change (from something that has been stable for years) could have a material impact for some people (not saying in this case) and therefore they will be unhappy. Not because it is proposed to be less transparent, but because the change messes up their plans.

1 Like

from here

Residential:

Non-residential (more relevant to the recent COCT announcements I guess):

From rates linked in first paragrapgh

Ex VAT Incl VAT
COCT gets the Green attrib 73.87 84.95
Customer retain Green attrib 60.91 70.05
Incentive 25.00 28.75

So far looks like June 2025

I think the calculations will become more complex. I suspect the biggest reason this is so far proposed for only non-residential SSEG is because the commercial customers are on TOU tarriffs. COCT probably trying to figure out how to break to residential customers with approved non-exporting installs that they are going to need to pay for a new meter and move to TOU tarriffs.

1 Like

Humans are a fiddly bunch. It’s happened a couple of times where the city is late in starting our block’s loadshedding or because of some issue at the sub or mini sub we don’t get switched off. What happens? People complain on our street and community groups that they’re not getting switched off, because they planned to be switched off.

Haven’t read everything, but from what I understand it won’t be the case here.
The only ‘change’ would be that feeding back may actually be worth while now and, if anything, would increase the ROI time (if you factor in the meter etc.). Although as the rate will change (like buying does at the moment) and the fact that it may fall away completely (like it is doing in some places overseas) I wouldn’t run to the shops and fill up on solar panels. Just cater for my own needs and feed back any excess and get something back.
BUT you can always just carry on as is and I don’t think anything will change. Maybe less loadshedding?

True, but I thought the foam at the mouth reaction without checking the facts was OTT, hence “culture of dumb down”. I don’t think we even know that we’re doing it anymore.

Perhaps it’s just my own dislike of conflict. Makes me uncomfortable. So I try to find out first if I really need to be in this conflict at all… :slight_smile:

Good strategy to start out for, now to keep doing same…

Groetnis