Email confirmations

My gmail was not receiving email confirmations from the site. Could not register until I tried a different email. Registered using a different address now. Trying to change it to my gmail but not getting verification email.

The mail logs shows that gmail thinks our email messages are spam. It’s not an outright blacklist (on the IP address), but it does appear to be something in the content that trips it up (because sending a quick email through a forwarding address delivers correctly).

I can change your email address to something else… but it’s pointless if gmail won’t accept delivery on that address. You won’t receive anything else either. Will have to figure out why gmail dislikes these messages.

Yeah, the DKIM record has gone AWOL. Something to fix in the coming week… can’t say when unfortunately.

$ host -t TXT 20201001._domainkey.energytalk.co.za
20201001._domainkey.energytalk.co.za has no TXT record
1 Like

Can you verify the gmail on my profile please? Happy to not receive emails until you fix it. I also sent you guys an email on your admin email to report the issues.

Anyway you may be losing new users due to this.

I don’t see one. You could DM it to me if you want and I can swap it.

Indeed… and it has been ongoing for at least 10 days. That’s what gets me most. DNS is with godaddy, so that is where we need to start looking.

who has access to godaddy.com DNS management for energytalk.co.za domain?
I see that there is no DKIM record for it and that can be fixed quickly :slight_smile:

I will talk to Jaco about this soon (he has access to the DNS). I spent the whole morning swearing at Exim for not working properly, then after I finally remembered you can tell Exim to repeat its config back to you, and I ran exim4 -bP transports | grep dkim, I noticed that dkim_private_key is not defined. Total noob moment!

So now the email is signed again, and we just need to get the DNS record fixed. And then hopefully gmail will be happy with the quality again.

:+1:
when you know, you know :slight_smile:

Email delivery to gmail has been fixed and the whole DKIM/SPF part has been given a proper upgrade.

5 Likes

Thanks all.

Hi Folks - I have been unable to register using my private or work email addresses. I have pestered Jaco on WhatsApp and the account was deleted and I started again, but no luck, not even with trying to reset the initial password. The confirmation email just never arrives (it’s not in junk).

I have created a temporary Gmail account just to register, but want to change my address and close the Gmail account.

Please will an Admin PM or email me so that I can provide my proper email address and have the DKIM/SPF/DMARC or whatever issue resolved.

Thanks folks

Thanks for the help Plonkster! Much appreciated.

So others know. It seems the Microsoft hosted mail services are bouncing email from us, because our ip address is in a really large block of IP addresses that has a bad reputation. The good news is that we’re in only one blacklist (and I don’t consider it that bad), but it seems we may have to look at a different way of hosting email.

For now, it means using a gmail address. Because Gmail cares more about the fact that we sign email with a domain key than that we are in a bad neighbourhood.

MS is really difficult to try and get your IP unblocked as well. There is no clear way to do that.