DIY Serial battery driver for Victron GX

Thanks for the suggestions.
I will try that. Hopefully it does makes a difference.

This is awesome!
I am considering buying a UART BMS just for testing.
@Louisvdw : would you want me to buy a Daly for testing?

btw: I’m new here, just stumbled upon this highly interesting thread. Greetings from northern Germany!

2 Likes

Hi Lukas
I do have some code we can test on the smart Daly. So yes if you have one and can help with the testing it would be great. Do you currently run a Victron system with a GX device?

Hi,
I’m currently running a victron system in my camper, but that is not on lithium (yet). Up 'till now I was hesitant on buying a REC BMS or similar for victron integration because of the high price in comparison to my smallish battery.
My plan is to purchase a LiFePo4 battery plus BMS for testing and transfer it to the van later. I have a Victron PV Charger and Inverter available. Unfortunately, because I would order from China, I’ll only be able to start testing in a month or two from now.
On the upside I can buy the BMS that would suit your testing needs. For testing I would buy a small BMS in the 60-80 A range.

Im reading different opinions on the Daly smart BMS. This guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVkRgH3ZBm4, sorry german) mentions, that on the smaller units the Bluetooth is only activated, when there is a charging current. This could pose a problem for monitoring, don’t you think?

Potentially having a cheap venus os compatible BMS available is a huge deal. And not only for me, judging on the number of “Victron compatible BMS?” threads in multiple forums. So thanks for your work @Louisvdw !

@lukaswien Just make sure that the smart Daly you do order use RS485(normally for the Daly) or RS232.

The Bluetooth is not a real issue for the driver as that will only be used when you connect to it from your phone app. So if the smaller BMS only activate bluetooth while charging this will only influence the user. Not the driver interface.

The driver cannot use bluetooth at the moment as the GX devices does not have bluetooth (and the Pi version disables the built in bluetooth), but in theory there is nothing stopping us from using bluetooth in future if the GX does support it.

To be sure: The RS485 version is NOT the Bluetooth version. For BT they are using UART.
This might pose a problem for me because I won’t be able to change settings on the BMS (Were all on Linux or Mac here). I never had a BMS connected to Venus OS. I Assume the connection is read only, right?

It does depend on the version you buy, but they normally have the bluetooth and other connections
In the example below this version has (from bottom left to right) an RS485/CAN, BT(bluetooth), UART(normally RS232), something I cannot make out and then the balance leads.
If your model has the the BT and either UART/RS232 or RS485 then it will work with the driver. If you have the CANbus version, then you should be able to plug it in directly to the GX CAN port.

Just check your description. If you are still unsure post the link to the model you are looking at here

In the renders, they all seem to have all the connections. I can’t order one with Bluetooth/UART and RS485, though. It seems to be either one or the other.
I wrote Daly on Aliexpress to clarify.

Apparently CAN is only available on higher S-counts. Would that be directly compatible with VE.Can?

It should be compatible.

I suggest the bluetooth version. My BMS also has 1 UART were you either plug in the bluetooth or the RS232 USB cable. I set everything up on the bluetooth and then switch to the RS232 USB for the driver. You can see all the important data (read only) in the Victron system.
If your Daly does come with both bluetooth and a seperate UART then it is a bonus.

I have ordered the UART variant.
I’ll let you know when the BMS arrives.

2 Likes

Let me just add a bit of info around this. VE.Can layers on top of NMEA2000 and J1939. It uses CAN 2.0B with 29-bit identifiers, and it runs at 250kbaud. In other words, it runs at the speed you normally find on the bus in a car, or in a boat.

The CAN-bus batteries use CAN 2.0A, 11-bit identifiers and run at 500kbaud (though I am aware that both FreedomWon and BlueNova can be configured for either speed).

The good news is that CAN 2.0A and 2.0B can run on the same wire, as long as the speed is the same. So in general you don’t have to break your head about VE.Can and if your BMS supports it… cause for the most part the answer is 1) no (3rd party BMSes do not use that protocol), and 2) it doesn’t matter, since the CAN-bms protocol is supported and can even run on the same port/bus as the other one.

And unless you have other CAN-bus hardware (eg solar chargers) it is not even going to matter.

The CAN bus is a message oriented bus. If you send something which the other nodes don’t understand, they simply ignore it. So as long as the nodes run at the same bitrate, you can essentially do whatever you want… as long as the battery protocol is understood by the can-bms driver on the Venus device.

In the end I was able to register on the forum with a gmail account.
I can’t find where to send you a PM, I can’t create a new PM. For the Daly BMS venus test.
thanks

1 Like

Welcome Jose, I see the system did send you a verification email to your hotmail account as well. Please check your Span folder.

1 Like

The mail server runs on a virtual host. Many email providers pro-actively blacklist entire blocks known to be allocated to vhosts, and as a result some emails just doesn’t work.

The same is true for other mail servers, even those run by reputable ISPs are sometimes blacklisted.

What is also interesting is that I have a vhost with the same provider as the one running this forum (but in a different block), and while we’ve found some hosts to discriminate against this one… they don’t discriminate against my own vhost.

It can also change at any point. All you need is a “neighbour” that sends spam and gets reported. Many ISPs will simply blacklist the whole netblock.

Edit: And on this topic, Netflix. Don’t even think about using a VPN through a well known vhost provider to bypass netflix copyright blocks. They have already blacklisted all the major network ranges used by cheap virtual hosts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m seriously impressed.

After a week of letting the BMS, system was left on “Keep Charged”, with cells about 0.025v difference, on 31 Dec 2020, I decided to connect the BMS to my Venus using Louis software.

Instantly, on the carefully balanced bank, one/two new cells went ape, BMS beeping like mad, Louis software recording it all with the Venus showing AND recording the warnings.

So I applied “The Bulb” … within <2min all the cells settled again and since then Louis software with the BMS has sorted it all going for 2 days and counting, even with 60amp charging/discharging using @plonkster suggestion of what volts to use:
Bank: 16 x 150ah cells
Bulk: 55.2v
Float: 54.4v
Charge Amps: 60a
BMV Charged Voltage: 54.9

All of this success because of Louis pointing me in the right direction of what BMS to look at because of the software he wrote. Was used on a Venus Rpi and a proper Venus. Just here and there a tweak on the rights of some of the files and it worked!

As a result, I’ve ordered another one for a 24v system and the 3rd one for a 12v system from the same supplier, for two more projects I have ongoing as a hobby, 12v MP 500va and a 24v MP 800va … not a need, not a want, just a hobby. :smile:

1 Like

“The Bulb” … thanks to @Gman !
12v brake light, having connected both filaments.
Sorts a cell out in minutes.

Also tried a 55w headlight bulb … the brake light being more subtle.

One thing and it has nothing to do with anything, just an observation.

BMV shunt is before the BMS shunt, and the two do not seem to completely follow the same path …
1 = BMV, 2 = BMS shunt

Victron BMV’s just seem to “have it”, “get’s it” … are “lit”. :smile:

“As a result, I’ve ordered another one for a 24v system and the 3rd one for a 12v system from the same supplier”
Aliexpress?

1 Like

Jip, ordered this, UART and RS485 ordered for both of them.

The latest version also comes without a box, which suites me, If I get this one, as this one will be permanently mounted inside the battery box, a new moveable one I’m contemplating.

Interested that the solenoid is integrated. Looks well built