Corrosion of steel water tanks

These are still with us in the form electrical geysers and pressure vessels etc.
I have noticed that geysers have a sacraficial anode installed to prevent corrosion. These can be replaced if you know where they are mounted and you are prepared to excavate the thermal insulation to reveal the anode. I’m pretty convinced that few people do this. I’m sure the geyser manufacturers are happy to replace many more burst geysers than they need to.
Pressure vessels don’t have any corrosion protection that I’m aware of.
Is this a drive by the manufacturers to generate turnover by turning their products into consumables?

1 Like

You are correct about the sacrificial anode.
Here is an interesting clip:

I believe that looping an earth wire from the incoming pipe to the outgoing pipe may delay the inevitable.

I guess it’s the same old story: What the eye doesn’t see the heart doesn’t grieve over.
The scale buildup is an issue. But if you don’t know it’s there what then?
But the sacrificial anode is doing its job. (It’s all a bit messy though!)

Yup. When the heat pump was installed I almost replaced mine. Almost. I suspect I won’t be able to get it out without damaging the tank. It is literally better at this point to have the tank (which still has an SABS mark on it, so it must be well over 10 years old) fail and then replace it under insurance.