Charging voltage // cells in battery

Trying to assist a friend here who is in turn assisting another friend (whom I don’t know). For real, thus asking for a friend. :laughing:

The idea is to make 2 Huawei lihiums and 2 Hubbles work together.

I have already advised him that one of the most important things to ascertain is the number of cells in each. 15 vs 16

I cannot find any information on the Huawei ESM 48 - 100A1

The ESM 48 - 100B1 though gives the nominal charging voltage as 56,4V. This I assume to be a 16 cell. Am I correct?

Then for the Hubbles X100’s it gives the equalized charging voltage as 52,5V. So this should be a 15 cell unit right?

Even if they were all 16 cells, then I suppose the next issue is to determine what BMS’s they pack and if these could be programmed to talk to each other, or at least 2 of them to think they’re in a different brand of battery?

The last obstacle, is the MPPT the dude wants to use. Voltage is sufficient at 250V and the PV will only be a theoretical 4800W for the 10 panels. But it is a non blue brand. This I believe is fine because the Quatro can be told to determine what the panels must produce. The only connection to it is a RJ45 lan port.

If all the above could be sorted, can this be made to work? The once removed friend is difficult and wants to work with what he’s got. I need to throw a spanner in the works to ruin or save a friendship lol.

Walk away. Trust me, just walk away.

The moment someone is “difficult”, it tends to go downhill. I have a number of those T-shirts.

But to touch on an answer or two:

1. BMSs cannot be made to “talk to each other” unless it is the same brand/model, and the software/cables are in place.
  2. Both banks must have the same cell count and the same AH rating, or they will have drama.
  3. Match panels to the MPPT, need proper information and calculations, or it can be dramatic. It is maths.
  4. Quatro does what the Quatro does, blindly … the brains sit in the Cerbo/Venus, with the appropriately linked parts.

Looking at the voltages I gave, would you agree with me with regards to the cell count?

I forgot to add, there will be a Cerbo involved. I told them this is not the way to do things, but I at least want to be able to tell them why this can’t happen.

I tend to yes.

Then the MPPT should ideally be Victron.
Also, the BMS’es, must be able to interface with the Cerbo IF that is a need.

Yes this will be a need.

But I am sure I saw on my Venus settings somewhere that you could let the Venus determine what the panels do to the batteries. But I suppose it would still need its input from an MPPT?

Naaah that part of the post confused me as well. If we can’t communicate with the charger, we can’t control sh*t :slight_smile:

Some chargers may have an allow-to-charge analog connection, which you could use for some sort of external control if your battery has such dry contacts, but with his “work with what I have” mixing… I would not even want to go there.

You can also program the MPPT to charge 0.4V higher than the quatro, and in that manner the quatro can use a mechanism internally called “overvoltage feed-in” to power loads while keeping the battery charged, or to feed excess DC-coupled PV into the grid, but outside of that, there will be very little cooperation between the two systems. Best advice would be to forget about any control. Set them both for good voltages and forget about it.

Batteries needs to be same number of cells and same chemistry. Doesn’t necessarily need to communicate with each other or with the inverter/cerbo. Again, set safe voltages so both batteries are happy. Individually fuse each pack so that a fault in one module doesn’t blow up one of the others.

Also accept that there will be no warranty, and possibly also no insurance claims. So don’t do this in your actual house.

I don’t think (think you can’t) charge the 2 versions (15s and 16s) to different “charged voltages” and MAKE them work together. My guess is they will be fine in the 20% to 80% SOC range but the 15s will be complaining bitterly when you go to the 56.4V and the BMS will shut down.

Then I hope the BMS’es in them batteries have the necessary ports, cables and software installed on the Venus. :wink:

Don’t try to mix 15 cell and 16 cell batteries. There will be no good outcome. Sell them and buy something else.

1 Like

Much obliged for all the responses guys, this settles the matter.

I will advise my friend, who in turn will advise his hardegat friend. You attempt this at your own peril.

If you really want to cement the friendship (like in “cement shoes to go live sleep with the fishes” :skull_and_crossbones: ) you should ask if he got the batteries for a bargain. Don’t know if the 48-100A1 is/was available to the public. But they are/were definitely available in MTN towers (you can still see facebook ads where people sell them next to other batteries that still have vodacom branding).

[source]

Anyhoo, the 48-100A1 batteries might be 15S (manual indicates charge voltage of 53.5V).

There are threads on powerforum and 4x4community about the batteries.

1 Like

Aaah this would explain it. The guy works for Africa Telecommunications. He also advised about the Huawei’s ability to be paired with lead acids.

He probably got a deal from his employer.

Let’s see where this goes. He is proceeding with the installation and did say to my friend that if need be, he’ll purchase a Victron 250 | 100 Mppt

EDIT: I just learned that he owns the business. So he gets these batteries on a supplier basis and probably contracts for the cell phone companies.