BMS Group Buy

Oh, I have access to SA addresses, I just have no faith that small parcels will make it to them.
Thanks anyway.
On the other hand if the BMS’s were part of the cell consignment and I was already putting my faith in that as well as arranging a courier to collect, I’d prefer that.
I am not in a rush, I only need the BMS’s when I get the cells.

1 Like

@TheTerribleTriplet, I have finally got my invoice after about a week of dealing with Ms Xiao.
I had to light a bit of a fire under her yesterday, as I didn’t feel she was being very responsive.
So I don’t have allegiance to her because it has been like pulling teeth.
Anyway, it sounds like these things will be an option on the next cell order, I am sure there will be others looking for a BMS as well.
So I am going to tell Ms Xiao I am going to pass on this purchase.

I find her very responsive, but it did take a while in the beginning.

She got there in the end, but up to Amy’s high standard, she is not.

1 Like

Right, all the BMS’es have arrived in JHB, now to get them out of Jhb, through the riots, to Cpt. :slight_smile:

4 stays in Jhb, 10 to Cpt, insured, from where I will sort them further between the buyers.

Sjoe, this took a LONG time …

If anyone is looking for a 48v BMS, who are in Jhb area, speak up NOW … R2400 per BMS.

All the BMS’e have arrived.

At. Last! :slight_smile:

Now the fun starts!

2 Likes

Just in time: SA’s port container terminals are down due to a Transnet ‘hack’

BMS’e was flown in … but the batts, end of July in Dbn harbour … then road freight to Cpt.

I’m not worried …

@TheTerribleTriplet Good day, what are the specs on your BMS - tried to find info but somehow missed it…

I’m looking to replace my 200A DALY - can you assist?

Thanks

Daly … mmmm … brings back some seriously bad memories. :laughing:

Hi @SolarSmurf .
These ones came in now:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/JiaBaiDa-smart-bms-20s-16s-13s_1600174920797.html

Have Bluetooth and an RS485 port added.
Connect RS485 port to the Venus using Louis driver.
Then use the App on your phone to check and program the BMS.

Mmmm, appears I have joined the club :laughing:

Looks spot on, will PM - thanks

Right, with the cells, we also want to import BMS’s again, using the same shipper the batteries are coming in on … I’m working on arranging that.

Now, @Gman is all for it, and I agree, a BMS that has the charge/discharge option separate. I like!!!
Adding to that, the functionality I insist on, trust me:

1. Default Bluetooth (UART port) to connect to an app
  2. RS485 port to connect to a Venus … at the same time
  3. Interfaces with the Venus, driver from @Louisvdw
  4. Balancing at >100mA
    Nice to have: 5) 18 cells connection

We are looking and we can probably find one, but so far the software on the BMS’es use slightly different protocols for communicating, which means Louis must alter his driver, so for now that is not an option.

But we are looking. So the current options are:

My personal favorite:
Option 1 – AP20S003 – 24v-72v
It is TTT “proof” … comes in a box, so BMS can be outside the battery box.
It can do 24v OR 48v and we can connect 18 cells.

New Model:
Option 2 – AP20S003S – 24v-72v
It can do 24v OR 48v and we can connect 18 cells.

Same as the last batch we bought, due to stock shortages at the time:
Option 3 – AP20S004 – 32v-72v
Only 48v and we can connect 18 cells

Then, cables.
Option 1: These RS485 to USB boards:

Option 2:

Option 3: My new favourite … Victron RS485 to USB - it has TTT protection built in see. :wink:

Anyone interested?

I don’t have a horse in this race, but I do see your BMS options all use a relay. So I am not sure how charge and discharge can be separate with these. Some of the latest BMSes I’ve tested (eg BYD Premium LV, BSLBAT) use two directional switches (a MOSFET arrangement usually) so that it can block charge or discharge separately. Think of it (conceptually) as having two relays in parallel, with two diodes so that one of them controls charge coming in and the other controls charge going out…

These are much more stable in operation. A full battery can block charge, without having to completely disconnect everything. One thing that helps with are those DC ripples that’s always plaguing you… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That is correct. These don’t have it.

We are looking for ones that do have that AND all the criteria listed. THE biggest being interfacing via Louis driver to the Venus with an RS485 connection, and as important, being able to view the individual cells via an App using a Bluetooth connection, simultaneously.

So we are still looking on Alibaba.

Does this BMS have comms to any other brands of inverters?

The BMS comes with a RS485 port, so if someone wrote a driver for that inverter, yes. Like Louis did for the Venus.

Alternatively, could you just use the BMS for balancing and manage charging and SOC with ICC and a BMV?

You can use the BMS standalone yes, as “normal” people do, using the App to see what the cell data is, the SOC, settings etc using Bluetooth.

ICC, you need to chat to whoever the developers are now, to interface it with ICC yes.

I believe @CenturionSolar maintains a version of that product.