Approved list of inverters

Once certified I presume. I have no idea when that might be unforunately.

South Africa is a bit weird in this respect. What we should have done is simply piled onto some European standard. And in a way we did, NRS097 is loosely based on VDE-AR-N-4105. But having our own standard means time at a testing house, and as you might imagine, certification is always done for the larger markets first. That is the case for all inverter makers. It sucks, but it is what it is.

I donā€™t know, but google spat this out. From a cursory view it seems the out-of-bounds trip times changed.

Wasnā€™t one of the key technical changes adding an installer lock to grid settings?

1 Like

So, is there no way to monitor what the progress is on the certification of the Victron inverters?

Ask your local reseller. Thatā€™s their job :slight_smile: Check website for email address.

The Quattro-II is compliant if you do not make use of an islanding device.

This is the response I received from my reseller (Livestainable), referring to the Quattro-II 48/5000/70-50/50.

I donā€™t know what he means by an ā€œislanding deviceā€.

Iā€™m sure that technically the Quattro-II is compliant, in the sense that it is built to the same specs as the Multi-II which is compliant, but until a testing house puts a stamp on it and prints out a certificate for itā€¦ you cannot use it. That is the sad reality.

Plus one ā€¦ also have no idea what that means.

So I looked on Victronā€™s site:

None for the Quattro II yet:

I have asked my short-term insurance broker about this and according to him none of the insurance companies have changed the policies around inverters yet and that there will not be issues when you want to submit a claim. Provided you have a CoC.

The question then is, would an electrician issue a CoC if the inverter is not certified?

Where does the risk really lie and how big of a risk is it, is actually my question.

Risk lies with the buyer, the Romans knew it way back i.e. Caveat Emptor ā€¦ unless you can ā€œpassā€ it on, read, have the money to go to court unless the supplier is very serious about their name.

But at the end of the day, the buck stops with us ā€¦

CoC, the sparkie must be serious about regulations, wants to make sure he does all by the book in other words.

TBH, I regret going for the Quattro now. I should have gone with the Multi instead. I could have made a plan with tying the generator in. Or just left it like it was before, either council/inverter power or generator power with the change-over switch.

I have to change over to the inverter now anyway whenever there is loadshedding because I donā€™t want to have it connected to the DB directly before it is certified. Who knows how long that is going to take. It seems there is no way to find out.

1 Like

If you really want, being a Victron product with an awesome warranty following the product, you will get a buyer. Especially with LS ongoing, shortages, and desperation levels higher.

Bought myself a time or three into a corner ā€¦ and promptly sold my ā€œmistakesā€ ā€¦ got the right parts for my needs.

Just a thought.

EDIT: My cousin had 3 x 3kvaā€™s and a generator.
The gennie was on, MPIIā€™s refused the gennie power.
The supplier steps in and disables the grid code, and the MPII happily recharged the batteries, he does that now when LS kills his BlueNova bank ā€¦ read not LS, his wife. :wink:

A post was split to a new topic: Liminous solar 3000s inverter PV options

Is there any news on more Victron inverters being certified for use in Cape Town, and what is being approved by the City authorities?

1. What models are covered by ā€œMultiGridā€?

2. What about larger capacity Multis, EasySolar-II GX and Quattros?

The list below is as at 15 June 2023:

Its going to take some more time than we thought. I dont think it is currently very high up on their priority list.

Last time I heard, If i remember correctly Sa only contribute to about 2% of their business.

To us its important, I installed 10kva multi !! in CPT over a year ago on promises from GT at Victron ensuring us that it will be certified soon. Clients not talking to me anymore because it did not happen as promised, so I am to blame if their supply gets cut because the application is not done yet.

I would suggest that you dont use one that is not on the approved list. Rather wait, or go for something that is approved.

I need to replace inverters at my cost because GT could not deliver on his promise. He ensured us, its at top of their priority list, but i found out from someone much much much more reliable that its not the case and NRS certification might still be a long way out.

Hard to come by as the Multigrid is not being manufactured anymore. You might find some.

multi 2 GXā€™s on the other hand, is more readily available.

What size are you looking for, I still have a 3kva in stock.

@JacoDeJongh,
If, during the course of your travels, you come across three or more of the older 15kVA Quattros ( that were never approved nor likely to be) that may be for sale because of lack of approval, please make a mental note.
I am not ready for another 16 months, but Iā€™d like to have options. I donā€™t care so much about NRS as I will go off-grid completely, and the later 15kW hardware doesnā€™t parallel.

Although there is this mystery inverter on the cards, that I know nothing about (@Plonkster, anything to add?):

Edit: I can see from the size of the battery terminals that this will be a (centre-tap ?) HV battery. Possibly Victron proprietary, in which case itā€™ll likely be unaffordable. And at those voltages, it will be an HF design that may not suit starting big pumps. (Which I want to do).

Itā€™s really disappointing that the list of approved Victron inverters has been stagnant for so long. How difficult can it be to get the requisite approvals, considering that other manufacturers of less consequence (IMO) have managed and are rapidly adding to the list every time it is updated? If Victron wants to move the needle off 2% then itā€™s a no-brainer to deal with this pronto!

I hope that someone from Victron can give an insider perspective of the efforts being made, and what the approval roadmap looks like as at June 2023.

Thanks Jaco, but Iā€™m not looking for a MultiGrid or 3kVA anything though. Iā€™m interested in the 10 and 15 kVA inverters.

The Victron website states ā€œthe MultiPlus-II combines the functions of the MultiPlus and the MultiGridā€, so I was wondering if the MultiGrid approval covered MultiPlus-II. Stretching perhaps, but I recall reading this somewhere, and now I cannot find it again. But itā€™s pointless listing obsolete inverters anyway, so IMO the only worthwhile device listed is the 5kVA Multi-II.

15kW in a box that sizeā€¦ Is Little Blue going HF?