Any recommendation on an alarm system

I am looking in to getting a standalone alarm system for my place. I do have one that is integrated in the home automation system but as 90% of it is DIY it would prefer to have the security “more” standard.
I had a look at Ajax and it looks nice but also quite a steep price. What else is out there?

I like Paradox, but are looking for something that can integrate with Home assistant, for now I am busy setting up a D1 as an integration option.

Hi Jaco

I think @gbyleveldt integrated his Paradox with HA, and I am going to try and integrate my DSC with HA following this:

GitHub - Dilbert66/esphome-dsckeybus: Esphome custom configuration for interfacing to a DSC POWERSERIES alarm system

Single_Dual_FOP2

I am also looking for an inexpensive DIY alarm system for my solar panels in the future. I think the best system is fiber optics, it’s cheap. You can design a circuit with a Microprocessor and when cutting the optical fiber a relay is activated. This relay can be connected to our alarm system or to a Victron system.

I also had a look at Paradox and so far they seem to offer the most bang for buck. Any suggestions to suppliers?

I buy from Dynamic Security Distributors in Centurion. since 2000.

Paradox. you can integrate with HA via PAI
I buy from AlarmTech, only had good service from Riaan and prices are good also.

G

I use a DSC Power series and use dsc keybus interface on a D1 mini to control from HA. Integration works great over mqtt for automation.

1 Like

We have the IDS 864 range, two years ago when I did research IDS was the only alarm that had a module you can control it via a Cell phone app. I can control zones, turn on or off and even get notified of a alarm on the app. The HYYP can be setup Via Cell or Wifi/Lan. The Paradox is well known and the installer liked it but could not offer a remote manage app.

1 Like

I think most offer that functionality now. I have a DSC with the same functionality, including a few relays (garage door and front gate).

An important decision when deciding what alarm system to get, is probably whether you plan to integrate it with a type of home automation system, like home assistant. Some are perhaps natively supported.