Alarm and Solar Display with TTGO

I have my own security setup that is controlled via Node Red.
One thing that I have toyed with was to have a small display at my bedside table that will display the Zone that was triggered. I have the phone that shows all the triggers but I wanted something that I can see at a glance.
I could have done this with a Wemos and a small OLED but the TTGO board comes with two buttons and a much nicer OLED all integrated and at R 180 for the kit I could not resist.

The program was fairly simple - Have the unit screen off all the time and listen for a MQTT topic. if the correct one arrives (Alarm Trigger) switch on the screen display the Payload and after 60 sec turn off.

But then what would a display be if it can not show your solar data…

So , for the moment , I have a screen that shows some basic solar info and if a Zone gets triggered it will display the Zone and disable the solar data until I reset.
I also have the option that have the screen permanent on or on timeout. I still want to add a small buzzer to the circuit but need to look at the power draw so that it could wake me up at night if triggered.

@JacoDeJongh this is where the 3d Printer adds to the fun and a small case was born

Final project assembled

Alarm triggered

Can Also rotate the screen if need be

All and all a fun little board and If you are willing to spend more time with it there will an lot more you can do.

2 Likes

Very cool! Where did you buy the board?

I’ve been toying with a small display for some things too – including the Battery SOC and other inverter goodies, or temperature.

Is there any real problem running it permanently on? It doesn’t look too bright for night-time use…?

Not at all , you can even set the brightness. I just placed a timeout as it next to my bed and didn’t want it to be on while asleep.
Got mine from Bang Good but they are also Available in Sa.

Software? ESPHome?

My own blend. I wrote a small sketch as it only need to display the payloads received from mqtt. I did make it a bit “fancier” by adding a live update page and a wifi connect when you restart the unit 2x in a row. Most of that comes from libraries.