40 TB RAM computer

the zero point 5 percent i did understand blew my mind… :crazy_face:

My desktop for the last decade or whatever has been an Intel Xeon Server.

Have a rack-mounted one and the same model in an upright case.

They cost an arm and a leg when they were new. I got a new one for an “appel en 'n uie”. right time, right place.

Best buys ever. They just last, same as this guy says at the end. Server technology costs a small fortune upfront but they run for a very VERY long time.

The ONE whoops moment I get is when the 8 cores run flat-out… man, jet-engine level noise. Right next to you. The rest of the time, a whisper.

… and light on watts too.

So methinks, I want one of these new IBM servers one day when mine “gives up”. :innocent:

I love Dave’s Garage videos. The guy is very entertaining and obviously highly technical.

Love his videos, but then it (IT) is my day job. At one point I had an IBM AS400 at home, a full rack. Talk about loud, no whisper there and power hungry :drooling_face:, it was eating them watts……
Still have a few Servers running here currently, but all now self assembeled, and I make sure they are inaudable. Aftermarket fans brother, I build a test rig and tested them fans side by side to see or rather hear them at same speed, to find what was the quietest. The NAS server is lso an older Xeon but everything else is brand new icluding the motherboard.

Groetnid

Worked on many a HP Superdome and Nonstop (Tandem, later Compaq now HP) series machines, Sun E10K (Starfire) and IBM Power systems but never on them mainframes. Those were the days…

Might be white noise for you guys, but eh…

Remember at one time causing havoc at a client running a large number X86 Xeon servers all virtualised and that brought down the IBM DS8000 storage system. IBM quickly identified the issue and flashed new firmware to the dual storage controllers and that subsequently bricked them. They had to fly new controllers in with older firmware because they could not downgrade the firmware :laughing:

Problem was we configured, we being me doing the design, the system with a huge number of storage IO paths and we hit a 1024 max storage path limit in those IBMs :wink: because Mr Client did not know what had to run where so said stuffit, just assign all paths to all systems :clown_face:

So there is some how we broke a system blast from the past…

CompuerGroetnis

Before I got the 2nd Intel, my pal told me to try the Supermicro server. They are so cool he said. It is all he uses.

Told him no, Intel please … but in the end humored him and tried one.

After I bricked the 3rd one, he gave me the intel at a very special price.

How did I brick them?

Enabled virtualization.

:rofl:

It was a very new thing back then. He never even tried it. Me like, what does this button do, what is this Hyper-V thing … NIKE! (Just Do It)

My NAS runs a Supermicro board, but Intel processor, wonder why no more…

Groetnis

Intel in my context, is an actual Intel server with Intel processors.