Watery things and hygiene

speaking of numbers …long ago at the entrance to the Weskus Nasionale Park

Oh that gets dealt with. The call that gave us the English word “loo” was hijacked by the French and transformed into something that translates as “the English place”.

The book looks at the problem of what to do with our waste from many different angles.

Ronnie Kasrils gets a mention because he is one of the few ministers of water and sanitation who had a serious go at the sanitation end (water nearly always gets nearly all the budget). This in a chapter about South Africa and sanitation in rural schools. There was a guy who took on this challenge in the E Cape. He hooked up with Kasrils. Then they just happen to be at Robben Island the same day as the P̶M̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶T̶h̶a̶i̶l̶a̶n̶d̶.̶ President of Singapore. T̶h̶e̶ ̶P̶M̶ ̶ The President hears part of the conversation and asks for a word. He’s interested because Singapore (like many countries in the East) has pooh problems it needs to sort out, and a shortage of people willing to do the work. H̶a̶l̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶u̶d̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶j̶o̶b̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶s̶a̶l̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶c̶i̶t̶i̶z̶e̶n̶s̶h̶i̶p̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶T̶h̶a̶i̶l̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶r̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶s̶a̶n̶i̶t̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶P̶M̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶i̶d̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶u̶y̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶j̶o̶b̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶b̶o̶d̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶T̶h̶a̶i̶l̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶b̶o̶o̶s̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶a̶c̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶

The end of the story is that the local guy eventually is contacted by the Malaysian Government who are looking for somebody to keep the toilets clean. They offer him a contract and citizenship.

The chapter I’m reading now is about the lowest of low castes in India. You guessed right. They take it away. Having first scraped it up by hand. The system was still in place when the book was written (2008). It’s nearly exclusively a woman’s job, and these women suffer terribly and nearly constantly from diseases they get by virtue of their vocation.

1 Like

Aaah the French. So a Francophile is someone who admires the French, right? But an Anglophile, spelled exactly the same in French is “Qui a ou marque de la sympathie pour les Anglais”, that is, someone who has sympathy for the English.

they say it is safer to speak Afrikaans in the rural areas of France than English :rofl:
reminds me of a story my granny once told me about the elderly British couple who decided to visit some small historic place in the South of France [late 1940’s] - they were told of the problems the French have with sanitary amenities so they wrote a letter to the major there asking about the situation with the WC. The major called a council meeting because his English was not up to scratch and they in the end decided that WC must stand for Wesleyan Church, so they drafted a letter to the couple stating inter alia that …
“… yes, indeed, there is one available but it is about 10km out of town… it is open between 12:00 and 16:00 during weekdays and Sundays from 09:00 to 13:00…
it seats about 40 people… the acoustic is very good” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edit
WC = Water Closet

It is safer to speak ANY language other than English in France. The other guy will respond with “quoi!?” and then you switch to English. The objective of the exercise is to make it clear that you are not British. Or American, which is much worse.

Water Closet right?

1 Like

Right. Even the Germans call it a WC, although using the German letter names. Useful if you ever travel in those parts. Alternatively, you can use the word “Klo” which is quite close to Loo.