Vassen from Sandton

It could also be that specific inverters out there specifically look for that in the protocol to work correctly, and they may have been targeting those inverters.

Even locally, I think at least one manufacturer programs the battery depending on what inverter you intend to run it with, specifically because some are made to work with a Pylontech battery (so if you pretend to be one, it works).

The Pylon name in 0x35E on the Hubble actually caused it to not work for us initially, since we also have some checks that certain values make sense for certain known batteries, but the Hubble is sending charge voltage targets that are too high for Pylons and identifying itself as a Pylon which caused some errors.

How easy or difficult is it to get the specs and implement on another bms. I was toying with the idea of a diy build and one of the issues was the coms to the sunsynk. If it’s easy enough to implement, then a diy battery build seems a lot more feasible.

It’s actually pretty easy to implement.
I have a cheap Chinese battery at home whos BMS is terrible and doesn’t balance the cells properly. It also doesn’t have CAN. So I made myself a PCB with a microcontroller that communicates with the BMS over RS485 and does cell balancing at 600mA based on settings that I can adjust, and I also added a CAN transciever so that it sends voltage targets that are adjusted based on the max. cell voltage, so it means I don’t have to watch my battery all day and adjust settings manually if any cells are over-shooting.

4 Likes

Hi

Was wondering what happened to you and found you here.

Hey

Yeah, this is my new hangout.

People on the other side didn’t like me being so vocal about the fake news so they deleted my account and my almost 1000 posts.

1 Like

as a newbie, I could outright see that the other forum has more fans for Hubble…rather its punted.

:slight_smile:

didn’t click as to the reason, thought its just that good but seeing this now, I can make out its for commercial reasons. very little talk of BlueNova, negative view of Pylons…

I am just here to learn…

I wouldn’t really say that it has more fans. It’s just that there are a few installers that have just started out installing that seem to be excellent in marketing and probably get a lot better deals on Hubble and hence want to push it. The problem I had was that these same people would then make up stuff about pylontech and makes some of the newbies just avoid the brand. I mean when some popular installer says x is good and y is bad, the non technical person will naturally believe that x is better.

They would punt Hubble as being better for abc reasons. I tried a few times to pull comparisons of the abc from both manufacturer documents but this was then me making up stuff or not knowing that there’s actually xyz that I should be looking at from a discontinued product.

There’s even people that would regret buying pylontech because the Hubble had a better warranty. So I ask them, did you have any issues with pylontech in the past year and they so No, but Hubble just seems better. So I ask, based on what…. The Hubble changed their warranty period from 10 years, then to 5 years and then back to 10 years in a space of a few months. These updates come through via the said installers… not any official channels. Then I ask about the 2 year warranty on the Hubble bms and what happens afterwards considering they are a 1 year old company that already has a discontinued product and I get the response… they are a local company so everything will be fine… they have more knowledge and experience in batteries and my response to that is what caused my ban.

A little bit of googling on the cipc website and LinkedIn tells a very different story to what is being punted by the installers.

Anyway, I am now pretty glad that I was removed from that side. Life is a lot more peaceful now than trying to make people reason.

People can be stopped from posting but knowledge sharing one way or another, cannot be stopped.

4 Likes

Post-hoc rasionalisation. Which often (though not always) ends up being biased.

It is quite common to start with a hypothesis (which is sometimes pretty close to being a conclusion you want to be true), and then go out for ways that might explain the conclusion. While this seems all backwards, it is a completely legitimate way of reasoning, as long as you account for all alternative explanations that could account for the same data.

An example of this can be found in books about business. The author may start with the conclusion: That business XYZ is successful. This person will then ask questions about what this business does that leads to that success. And then this person will write a book that says: If you want to be successful, do things A, B and C, because that is what XYZ did.

That is all good and well, but before you can sign off on the argument, you need to do two more things.

1. Look for examples of businesses who did A, B and C and nevertheless still failed. Then look for other things they did that may be to blame for that.

2. Look for examples of businesses who did something other than A, B and C, and still became successful.

Only after you have done all this, can you reasonable infer that A+B+C → success!

Also, there is no reason to discount people who took a different route. Your path doesn’t have to be the only one.

This is where it became difficult for them. I knew the intention and hey…. People like certain brands which is all good. For me I have my experience and I also like to read specifications and analyze them when choosing a product. I also focus on product reviews. This give me a certain opinion about a product. I would however not just recommend something blindly because I had good experience with a product if its not something I can back up. Or if I really need to, then I explain the risks associated with using something and then the person on the other end can make an informed decision.

Simply saying this is the best product on the market now because it’s what you install the most doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling. It makes it even worse if you are only in this installation business for 6 months.

But that’s just me. I’m pretty critical of a lot of things and often do research before buying something. So salespeople often don’t like me much as I sometimes know more about what they are trying to sell me or I catch them out on their BS.