Usb to rj45 cable

See the 2 mappings. we’re using a gnd and tx and rx on RJ11 and then a gnd tx and rx on RS232.

Unknown

RS232 is ancient so I’m surprised it is mentioned.
However the RJ45 pic shows the typical RS232 pinouts… :thinking:
What does Pylontec refer to the communication protocol as??

Hang on… I don’t think Pylontech actually uses RS232 (with the ± 10V signalling). They probably use normal Serial TTL (transistor-transistor logic), ie 5V or 3.3V. At least on the Console port, which if I recall is what you use to plug in BatteryView and flash firmware?

Then you just need a USB->serial converter (something with an FTDi chip, or a PL230x, or maybe even a horrible CH340) and crimp it correctly into an RJ11.

Hi Plonkster.

See my other thread, think I might have a handle on whats needed in that one…
I have a FTDi chip/board… it’s the TTL/USB little board I use to flash Sonoff’s with.
My thinking is simply matching the TX/RX and gnd on there onto the correct points on the RJ11 and RJ45 ?

G

My thinking as well but please do homework carefully. Get voltage levels correct. I’ve not made a cable myself. I showed up to a place where a cable was already made up and I just used it.

1 Like

I would think the above all are connected as per Plonkster to a TTL/USB FTDi board.

so we have USB port → FTDi (using RX/TX and Gnd as per above) → RG11 or RG45

G

We went through all of this in the industrial automation business: Originally each PLC vendor had their own propriety programming software and often a bespoke serial cable.
Then as Ethernet was taking over we saw the smart vendors providing a network port on the PLCs… Problem solved!

Found it.

Seems to be working still, but interesting message I receive (Top One PL2303TA)

1 Like

awesome.

pinged you earlier on WA.

G

I have no skin in the game, but my honest advice is that if you want a trouble free firmware upgrade, the R400 odd for a proven and tested cable is worth EVERY cent as a failed upgrade will cause more stress than its worth.

When upgrading the firmware, you dont want the slightest chance of issues as it will brick the battery which may mean the battery is out of commission for quite some time until a supplier can remedy the issue.

Just my 2 cents

Also, the cable can then be used permanently to monitor the battery bank in depth as I currently do.

understood… but I also trust Jaco’s cable 100%, this is what he does, this is what he used to use before he got new box.

I am looking at how to use a ESPHome onto the RS485 port to pull those metrics, and push to Home Assistant, there option is a Wemos D1mini solution that tI’ve seen that pulls data from the console port, pushed it into a JSON payload and then mqtt publishes, (like this partly).
Actually keen on maybe doing this with a Raspberry Pi Zero and some python… might need ping @plonkster for some help here …
G