Things take longer in the microwave to cook when on battery

I will risk 5 cents on a bet some of the cell towers go down/having weaker signal during load shedding and the cell phone therefore using more power while on charge.

1 Like

Quite likely: Not all the towers have backup power so your local tower might be down and you now are connected to one further away. The spread spectrum technology requires all signals to be at the same level (at the tower) so it adjusts the power output of your phone to achieve this. And this hammers your phone battery :frowning:

2 Likes

Why you do dis?

I warmed up the little oneā€™s bottle in the microwave during loadshedding last night. Same procedure as every evening, same time, everything. Took the bottle out and went ā€œHmmm, normally it feels a little warmer.ā€ and then I remember reading this yesterday. Granted, at night Iā€™m not soooo precise with my measurements, so maybe had 10ml more than normal, but still.

Oh I remember that. We were actually told (because we went for those prenatal classes) that you should NEVER use the Microwave for this, due to the risk of scalding. Pfffft. Everyone I know uses the microwave. Thatā€™s why you squirt a small amount onto the back of your hand to test it before handing it to your childā€¦

(Meanwhile the child is screaming blue murder of courseā€¦)

We used to have sterilised water of the correct amount already in the bottles, and we even had pre-measured formula so you could just toss it in, shake, and heat. New parents are awfully precise about this sort of thing, because at 3AM when you feel like death warmed over, thatā€™s all how you survive.

I definitely remember thatā€¦ :slight_smile:

Remember that in some houses, the inverter voltage is HIGHER than the grid voltage. Sometimes in winter, when the voltage sags quite a bit in my neighbourhood, you actually hear the Multi go ā€œclackā€ as it connects, immediately followed by the Microwaveā€™s tone going down a half-toneā€¦ resulting in the reverse situation, my microwave is slower on the gridā€¦ probablyā€¦ :wink:

Sooo, this not being our first rodeo with the little addition to the household, I subtly guided the new mother and her grandmother to teach the little one to like room temp milk. They have a water bottle in their room, so powder and water, done.

Of course, the females held a very different strong view it must be ā€œhotā€. But they gave my suggestion a try.

Lo and behold, the little one decided a few months in, she prefers room temp milk, not ā€œheatedā€.

As a matter of fact, in summer she prefers it cold ā€¦ nogal out of the fridge.

One gets a ā€œblank slateā€ ā€¦ color it in wisely.

Yup, that eventually follows as they grow up. Because when youā€™re out and about, you have the water, bottles and formula with youā€¦ but usually nothing to heat it. It simply becomes ā€œthe wayā€.

Some more unsolicited advice? Change a lot of nappies now. Likeā€¦ a LOT. Build some credit, so that you can use it when your kid goes on solids.

Since birth. :wink:

Nappies and me, pee one is fine, anything else ā€¦ Iā€™m sorry. Iā€™m a wuss. Tried everything as everything inside ME wants to join everything in the babyā€™s dirty nappy.

Tried a hosepipe outside on the grass once. Worked!

Wife was out. She came back and walked in on that spectacle. Hey, the baby was really enjoying it ok!!!

Apparently, that is not how it is supposed to be done. It worked did it not, I said.

Now you just brought back lovely memories. 3am, half asleep, screaming baby while sitting and waiting for a bottle in a bottle warmer that takes ages.

I remember being super proud of myself one morning when I woke up while he was still busy waking up. Sprinted to the kitchen, started warming the bottle and managed to almost have it ready by the time the proper sreams started.

This time around Iā€™m luckily only talking about a bottle of milk milk before bed (he likes it a little warmed up so that it is notice cold from the fridge).

Same here. Later on had measured out formula next to room temp water on the shelf ready to go. Worked a treat while out and about (well, covid, but still) like @plonkster mentioned.

I quickly unwussed, right in the hospital. First child was prem. By day 3 the nurse simply stood back and let us do it. This tiny tiny little thing, youā€™re afraid it is going to break, but you have to change a nappy.

My thumb and pinky could actually fit under his armsā€¦ now heā€™s a strapping lad of 13.

2 Likes