SSEG and NRS regulations

from here
https://www.eskom.co.za/Whatweredoing/SSEG/Documents/EMBEDDED%20GENERATION%20BROCHURE%20FINAL.pdf

"3.1.An off-grid system
An off-grid system is one where there is no
electrical tie that links the Generator with the
Eskom grid. The Generator is therefore not
grid-tied (not electrically connected to the Eskom grid) and does not need an Eskom supply to work. This type of installation does not
require authorisation from Eskom and this installation does not need to be registered with
NERSA. "

Far less messy, but far more expensive on batteries.

the 3rd bullet point rules out having a changeover switch between eskom and inverter

No, it says that off-grid SSEG includes all of those 3 bullet points. i.e. Either is acceptable

On the other forum there is an argument whether an Axpert inverter is acceptable even though it’s not on “the list”. I was under the impression that it’s not, unless completely off-grid. In other words, no connection of grid to AC-in and of PV to the MPPT at the same time. Also no connection to the grid on AC-out.

Can anyone clarify?

This is my understanding as well. For an completely off-grid setup, you can get what you want.

The municipality told me in so many words that it does not matter if you feed back or not but only inverters on the approved list may be connected to their grid. So off grid only.

But then I know the grey area comes in if you use it as a UPS. There are arguments on both sides, but by then I did not care anymore and got something that is on the list so it is not an issue for me anymore.

Of course the devil is in the detail. ( And if one goes onto the ESKOM website the devil has also broken the hyperlink to the detail).

Something I find interesting, is one of the implied options by the application form is that generation may be used to offset multiple electricity accounts.

Yup, NRS097 requires at least one active method. If anyone were to actually test the older Multis and Quattros in a combined Ziehl+Quattro test, it should pass. The Quattro adds the missing active measure. Sadly this was not explicitly tested.

There are no arguments or gray areas ito UPS’es. Any sparkie who knows the regs can do that eyes closed.

But you want solar panels … ok, you can, just declare them ok.

Now it gets interesting … who puts up solar panels just for the looks?

This “UPS” you had installed legally and with ease … panels connected to it … if so, does this UPS conform to NRS regulations?

Nope, off-grid you go.

Done and dusted.

I beg to make a case for that! These all black panels of mine are really nice to look at, not just for the electricity they generate!

2 Likes

Regarding the Axpert. Been in long debates about this. Made a lot of people very upset. Even got banned from commenting on Sokolic Solar’s Facebook page for (very respectfully) asking about it… :slight_smile:

Apparently the way to do it is just to declare yourself as “off-grid”. Is it legal? Don’t know, probably not. If anyone actually shows up and polices it, you will probably have problems.

Does the inverter itself comply fully, if we do our own “inspection” and ignore the lack of paperwork? Well, some of them didn’t even have proper TN bonding at one point, so the answer for a large number of them was a definite no.

But if they have TN bonding? Well, the regulations say the changeover must be interlocking. It must be impossible to have both the inverter and the grid connected simultaneously. The last time I checked this was also not the case for the Axpert. It doesn’t even disconnect the neutral of the inverter while connected to the grid, only live.

But it is still acceptable as a UPS for some reason. The really tough rules only apply when you add PV modules. Which is weird, but that is how it is :slight_smile:

So my plan with my setup was the following… until I decided to relocate…

Were going to use two 5kva multis as an offgrid setup.
Planned to put up a complete new DB board as the off grid DB.
Off grid, or UPS, same thing, the one charges from CoCT the other from Solar…
So plan was to phase the off-grid setup starting off with 5kva and 10kwh for storage, and then later pushing that to the full 10kva and 20kwh…
If your batteries run low, you have two options, you either throw over a switchover that will switch you complete off-grid DB to CoCT, or you can charge your batts from CoCT just a little, until you get solar again…
The off-grid DB switchover is 100% legal and will pass inspection as offgrid. The chargin if done right is not grid tied, and that part they don’t have to inspect… There’s multiple options on how to do that…

But now all that is canned as I’m packing up my house to relocate… So will instead sell my two 5kva multis and just grab a 5kva multi II…
Either need to complete the setup and charge a lower elec rate to the people renting my house… or maybe just pack everything up and install a system where I’m going… want to do a temp setup where I’m going to rent for the next year or so…

Is it possible to connect a grid tied inverter with no export with Eskom on a prepaid meter? The information on the Eskom website is very confusing (perhaps outdated). It states that you must be on a Time of Use plan, but as far as I know that doesn’t work with prepaid meters. And they only install prepaid meters for new connections now. But they’re very adamant that you must register any grid tied connections?

Need to distinguish possible vs will be allowed.

I suspect all utilities (COCT and Eskom) will want to approve any system that has the potential to export to the gird (safety, stability of the network and all of that) and hence a requirement to register. Many of the regulations look like they started from an export to grid perspective (hence quadrant meters, time of use and all that are mentioned). So you might get them to approve a system which does not export where you use a prepaid meter BUT you will then most likely end up with the pre-paid meter tripping when bigger loads switch off.

If you do elect to switch to a time-of-use plan then they install a non-prepaid meter at your cost (think COCT initially paid for it but don’t know if they still do). The time-of-use rates vs standard pre-paid tend not to really favour that option.

If you are an Eskom client, their 2020-2021 tariff doc at least implies the possibility of changing meter options and to elect to export or not but you will need at least a bi-directional meter even if you do not export . See the table bottom of p.25.

1 Like

Does anyone know how far along the certification of the new Quattro-IIs is?

Received a letter from Victron stating its in process, no ETA yet.

:+1:

Thanks Jaco.

Just read this article: https://mybroadband.co.za/news/energy/509322-why-cape-town-is-banning-off-grid-inverters-for-solar-installations.html and looked at the NRS list linked to, and I see no change to the poorly represented Victron section.

Does anyone know if there has been any progress with the Quattros’ certification?