Solis and Victron on same system

Now here is another angle I saw …

3 x 0.7kw Solis inverters, so 3 MPPT’s if you want, is quite a bit cheaper than getting one Solis, based on what stock Segen keeps.

This can equate to considering going 2 x 450w Canadians per Solis, “walk that talk” and see where that sweet spot is, one Solis and 2 panels at a time.

Connect them to a 3rd DB that is connected to the main DB, to avert me from having to replace the entire main DB.

ASSUMING that one can interface that to the Cerbo with 3 x Carlo’s as PV inverters, that is. This pushes the sums a wee bit up.

Or just one Carlo for all 3, them all being together in one DB feeding the main DB?

Naaah that was my point. It is not supported right now. Adding support for it (I believe it has a modbus-RTU connection) would be possible if someone added it to the above code (which is currently the easiest way to do it). That code already has support for devices on TCP or RTU connection, and it supports the Smappee, EM24 ethernet and the EV-charger. All modbus devices. It would be by far the easiest way to add support for a random modbus (not sunspec) inverter. If you did that, you won’t need the extra energy meter.

If you also map the power limit register, and convince the maintainer of hub4control, you could use this just like a Fronius: No need for the extra CT.

But as it stands, you need to buy the extra CT (current transformer) for the Solis, and hook that up to the power connection in addition to the existing energy meter.

The Solis write-up talks about customizing the CT ratio, so although I know they do a Solis CT accessory, presumably you could use any old el-cheapo suitable CT.
I can see any number of these for sub 3Euro (shipping incl.) on Ali.

:thinking: :+1:t4:

I believe Solis has been Sunspec protocol compliant on all models built since 2019.

Preferred CT ratio is 100/5 but the setting allows any to 1 ratios… I have made a 33ma Ct work before, but I wont recommend any Ct with less than 1amp secondary current…

1 Like

@Phil.g00 , do you have a communication manual with that protocol for them? The manual I have documents a heap of stuff, starting from address 30 000 and up, but none of it is arranged for sunspec. I cannot find it in the manual or on any of the data sheets. Also, it seems it is Midbus-RTU only, at the very least you will have to add something to connect it to Wi-Fi/Ethernet, or implement an RTU-version of sunspec (which we don’t currently have).

Sunspec registers usually start at address 40000, and the first two 16-bit registers, when split into 8-bit characters, spells “SunS”. When you see that, you know the first sunspec model (which will by model 1, the common part, mandatory and 66 registers in length) follows at 400002.

Sorted.

In the context of you wanting the Victron system to control the power output of the Solis, I think it is pertinent to this thread.
@plonkster This is what I could find:
https://usservice.solisinverters.com/support/solutions/articles/36000339385-modbus-communications-for-rhi-1p-5-10-k-hves-5g-us

I found that one as well, but it seems to be specific to that range (the hybrid range?). I don’t see it mentioned anywhere else.

(Also, to answer the other question, since Victron works natively with PV-inverters that implement the most basic of sunspec, except for limiting which is rarely implemented, Solis sunspec questions are on topic here).

Fantastic!!! A long time ago I asked about Solis as it is a wee bit cheaper than a Fronius … and a 250/100.

Will wait and see where this goes, as I would so get a Solis if it talks to the Cerbo. The Carlo suggestion from @JacoDeJongh a damn close 2nd IF this idea does not come to pass.

1 Like

@Plonkster , I found some obscure web reference to this document:

The same guy who referenced this doc, also provided these pics of a modification to the solis wireless dongle. He uses a Modbus RTU to Modbus USB converter.

Solis 485 conversion 1
solis 485

@Phil.g00 you got my attention. I bought 3kw Phoenix that i need to install in my parents house. Now that the guys talking about solis inverter, can you push back ac into the ac output of the phoenix and charge the batteries?

I can with my 5kW model. I have never had a 3kW model, but so long as it has the bi-directional Toroidal transformer I think it will be able to.
When you hook up comms with Victron Connect, go to the charger tab and click on the “Unhide” button, and you will see all the parameters available in a standard Multi.
Then load a PV assistant and configure the frequency shifting.

It will work with practically all fairly recent PV inverters, not just the Solis.
(By recent I mean built in the last 8 years or so).

You are still limited to Victron’s 1:1 rule in terms of size, so you won’t be able to go above a 3kW PV inverter. Within these confines, a tip is to size the PV inverter to your standing daytime load, otherwise, once the batteries are charged, you will frequency shift and lockout until the batteries are sufficiently discharged, for the Victron to lower the frequency.

I find this is less efficient than having it run all day and covering the baseload, but I run with my batteries fully charged all the time. ( And an unusual set-up which I describe lower).

During a sunny day, you can have loads that equal the Phoenix + the PV inverter, but at night you are limited to just the capability of the Phoenix.

Alternatively, what I have is another hybrid grid-tied system on the same battery bank as the Phoenix. This system will export/or use any excess going to the battery. So my Phoenix set-up although off-grid never goes into frequency-shift mode unless there is load-shedding and the batteries are full.

What do you mean by this? Practically all transformers are bi-directional. But that does not mean the rest of the design is.

I probably should have said Victron’s bi-directional toroidal design. (Inverter/charger)

Fair enough, can you link to the model you have? I cannot find any bidirectional phoenix.

I have the 48/5000 model.

Interesting. I see no mention of it being bidirectional or being able to charge the battery anywhere online.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/5028/ac-coupled-pv-off-grid-fronius-primo-with-victron.html?childToView=5290#comment-5290

Incidentally, I notice the screenshot in this thread is from a 3kW Phoenix.

1 Like