Random earth leakage trips (And some causes)!

Had a bit of a panic attack late yesterday afternoon.

As per the picture, I have this blue light in my db showing that the grid is present.

So I walk past this old tablet that is permanently on and showing the VRM portal and I notice the big red horizontal bar stating grid lost… and I off course immediately glance in the direction of the DB to confirm… but wait, the blue light is on!!!

So panic sets in, as this is around 18h00 and the wife is merrily blasting away on the air fryer and microwave etc, as this is her time to do stuff like that. Glance back towards the tablet to see that the batteries is already down to 94% in less than 20 minutes and gooing those amps!

Run around like an afkop hoender trying to find the problem, looking at all three of the db’s in the house and running to the inverter in the garage which is busy inverting and showing there is no grid input but I cant find the problem.

Shout to the wife to switch all appliances of and I get ready to switch us back to Eskom with the changeover switch installed at the critical load db.

Now during this panic (because you know, my batteries got hurt now and my inverter is probably stuffed as well) I at least recall Plonkster stating that it is best to first switch everything off by sommer testing the earth leakage which is also at the changeover switch.

Remember him saying that those Hager breakers was not really designed to change over directly on full load so trip everything rather.

And then it dawned on me. Earth leakage…

So I run back to the main non critical load db and voila! The earth leakage there had tripped. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Why I didn’t bother to look there, or even consider it at the time, is because that thing had tripped only once or twice in the entire 6 years we’ve been living in the house. And because you can barely see it against the black background.

Panic is an ugly thing people!

Mamparra!!!