PV Yield Support Group - with a hint of Prepping. :-)

Well, we’d have to define "doomsday scenario. Doomsday-light is the kind of thing that happens on a regular basis in some parts of Gauteng: Cables are stolen, and you have no power for a whole week. But I have water, and I don’t want the pool to go green. Pool pump needs to run.

Doomsday-for-real would be sandbags, machine guns, and sitting out two weeks before heading north kinds of stuff. Yeah, then I will not be running the pool pump.

Yeah, Jaco should’ve installed sirens, automated shutters with a gun safe coming out of the floor, all happening on the flip of that switch.

And perhaps a little lift to a crow’s nest from where I can protect my solar panels and property.

Something for the Christmas list:

At last … saw it the first time at Rubicon years ago when looking at options for #DayZero.

The price put me off being in the city, single house. Rural villages, wow.

For that price - 20sq meters of roof and 2 JoJo’s will collect you more water per family… No moving parts - nothing to break. Plus an area for panels if needed, and a outdoor under shade cooking/social space!

Sorry I think this is tech overkill - especially on the wild coast!

Edit: “On average, a two-panel array creates three to four full cases of bottled of water [24-pack] every week”

24x4 = 96l of water per week - drinking only…
1x Storm = 5+ k water in the tanks (in 60mins).

I agree that tanks are cheaper, but the tanks only work if it does rain. If it does not rain then you need to look at more expensive options.
But R43k per home is very expensive. Who is going to buy that if you already do not have money and need to walk 1h to the river to fetch water. Not really a practical solution in Africa, but it does sound like a good solution for the USA.

1 Like

They’re being sponsored by a billionaire that was born in EC, so when money’s not a problem this works.

I mean, they had to fly the panels in via helicopter… A JoJo doesn’t fit on a donkey :smile:

You could just buy a bog-standard dehumidifier. The small one we have produces two liters of water a day. And they cost around 4k new. Granted… it needs electricity… but in a pinch, if you needed drinking water only, this would actually do fine. You’d need one per person though… and hope the humidity stays up.

Just make sure to properly treat the water. De-humidifier water is not the same as distilled water (not by a long shot).

1 Like

Indeed, it is full of whatever impurities was in the air. It is even visually apparent sometimes. I would expect a water panel to have similar challenges though.

They do note: “The pure water is mineralised with magnesium and calcium to achieve an ideal taste profile”. However, not sure about the impurities you mention. Perhaps a filter system.

Boet, every single point you have mentioned, I have tried to “solve” the last 5 years. :slight_smile:

What I have realized… the human brain, beats most of the issues.
What I also realized … the human brain gets distracted, and forgets to do it manually.

Next problem?