My Quattro dont like my Honda eu65is

That does not make any sense. Lets assume that it does generate split phase - wiring the earth to common makes it more dangerous than leaving the earth pin disconnected.

I understand and hear what you are saying, but in my defence there is no stickers or warning when I bought the generator. I was going for this one because of noise, fuel consumption and pure sinewave and was running it long before I tried to connect it to the Victron.

1 Like

@_a_a_a Iā€™m just stating the facts, Construction and Camping generators are designed to be 120-0-120 so that 120V is marginally less lethal than a 240V shock. Use it, donā€™t use it. The electrical regulations does not allow for a construction generator to be connected, period. To make it work you have to make it ā€˜unsafeā€™ at your own cost and hopefully not someone elseā€™s.

The OP wanted to know why his generator drops to 100V and I provided a plausible explanation albeit at the risk of being unsafe and illegal if modified to ā€˜workā€™ without a dead-short. Pun intended.

I missed where he stated it dropped to 100V? I only see it dropped to 100W.

Yea, probably due to my old age or recalling same results of my own generator that I ā€˜sawā€™ V instead of W. Mine dropped to around 100V with the one leg shorted but itā€™s not as powerful as the 65iS which will probably give it all to raise the voltage on the other leg even with a short.

OK, problem has been sorted and I am really happy and in big debt to JacoDeJongh who sorted it. Unfortunately I dont really understand what the problem was but it seems like some wiring was done wrong with the initial install.

1 Like

Nice. Glad Jaco sorted you out.

In short, the output neutral of the inverter was not connected to the neutrals of the loads. The installer connected the load neutrals to the grid neutral directly.

When the grid fails, the earthing relay bonds the internal neutral to the earth wires. This forms a path for the current to flow back through the earth wire to the council earth-neutral bond, back through the council neutral to the loads. This completes the circuit and the loads are onā€¦

When @oradba69 switches on the gen, the internal earthing relay opens, breaking the bond to the load neutral and all the loads switches off.

Extraordinary circumstances and fault, never ever saw this before and most probably never again will.

7 Likes

You guys see why I said i dont understand :wink:
Once again thanks Jaco.

1 Like

Well done for picking it up! Not very comforting that an installer who does Quattros donā€™t install it properlyā€¦

Should probably also be mentioned that this failure mode will not be possible with the newer Multiplus-II models or the Quattro-II models. The relay test will detect the problem and send the inverter-charger into Error-11.

Edit: A correction. Discussion with a friend now convinces me that I was wrong about the above assessment. While it is true that the newer inverters WILL find many similar problems, in this case the disconnected neutral on the output will not be detected. The relay test will find a TN bond on the input, no TN bond on the output, and conclude that all is fine.

2 Likes