My New Home Assistant Project!

The first part of my project completed.

Moving my Victron system from the Phalaborwa home to the Pretoria home and combining the two systems. I guess this is a first, or at least I never heard of someone that attempted this.

I bought the new home with and 8kW Sunsynk and 16 x 360 watt panels on the roof (No Batteries). I mover the 8KVa Quattro, 18 x 430watt panels and 20.1kwh Pylons from Phalaborwa.

New system:

8kva Quattro, 20kwh Pylons, 16 x 360 panels on 2 x 250-70 MPPT’s, 8kW Sunsynk as PV inverter on the output of the Victron with 18 x 430watt panels connected to it.

Strange twist in this setup:

3 x changeovers in Secondary AC Db
No1: Total System bypass (Grid or Solar)
No2: Choose between Grid or Victron output as Sunsynk Input.
No3: Choose between Victron Output and Sunsynk Output as feed to alternative input of Changeover No1

2 x Battery Fuse disconnectors installed. Fuse carrier can be removed from one and used in the other.

Can Cables with different Pinouts runs from battery and both inverters to a central point and both inverters can connect to the battery can cable independently

Why??.

I bought the house with the Sunsynk and can’t expect to get a reasonable price for a second-hand sunsync so i decided to use it.

Now if something should happen to my out of warranty Quattro, I could move the Fuse carrier to the second Battery disconnector, plug the Sunsynk can into the battery can cable, change over 2 to sunsynk output, changeover 3 to Grid as Sunsynk supply and Voila, home running from the Sunsynk with 5.7kwp less in the system.

A certain home of which I know the owner well looks like this a few moments before peak time on a cloudy day…

3 Likes

Nice @JacoDeJongh

Love the negative value… :wink:

Yesterday was the first day with full sun, Produced 81.5kwh from a 13.5kwp array.
(81.5/13.5=6.04)

Julle, ek sukkel.

I moved my home assistant blue from Phala to PTa, and even if I change the Modbus to the new IP on my local network, I cant get any of the GX info pulled through.

I havent worked on the Home assistant for a very long time and forgot most of what to do. Any help?

Look for the new Victron integration. This may helphttps://github.com/sfstar/hass-victron

Mine installed via HACS

Groetnis

1 Like

Ag nee sies Sarel, dit was so maklik ek voel nou soos n aap…

Thanks a lot. this worked like a charm…

Man HA’s Helpers are awesome. Trying to build Daily and Monthly totalizers before were not as easy as now.

Net n plesier! Bly ek kon help. These guys have great ideas and insight at HA, the development and how quickly they are maturing HA is awsome.

Groetnis

Nice find (the Victron HACS integration).

I probably need to start my Home Assistant project afresh too. Seriously outdated on everything and lots of clutter. I’m fairly “scared” at this point to hit update.

This is my process: (Had to rebuild mine a few times because of corruption.) The latest versions are a LOT more reliable.

Make a full backup, manually, by using the backup functioning HA.
Do the OS/Core/Supervisor updates.
Wait at least 48 hours to check stability, restore if not stable.
Do another full manual backup.
Then do all the rest.

The new versions have moved around quite a few things, just be aware.

Groetnis

My rpi4 (2Gb) also got corrupted a couple of times with HA updates. I switched to only using Node Red dashboard for a while.
But being a Saffer that loves to tinker, I bought a couple of ESP32 and RS485 modules and using one of the used Nettops that I bought on this forum loaded HA supervisor.
Running well so far and have already incorporated my inverter and Sonoff cameras. Next step is to install the Basic R2,s and start getting real smart.

This is how I monitor my Home energy:

I have these Thermostats set up controlling 2 sets of heaters using a switch and separate room temp sensors

This is where you can set the controls, they are based off of presets. Also an automation that will shut them down on SoC and temp and switch them on at a certain time and temp.

SnoesigeGroetnis

Hi Sarel, were you ever able to read the status of the CBi’s on from Home assistant. There is some kind of confusion between HA and the devices where HA shows the switch as on but the device in the field is off?

Yes indeed, using the Tuya integration.

Werk perfekGroetnis

Hi Sorry, I wasnt clear, Can you read the status “On” or “Off” from the device.

Yes that can be done. The following is all the data in Tuya on one of those CBIs

AangeskakeldeGroetnis

Thanks, I just saw that at some stage the Cbi Switches off and then my HA still shows its running. Once in that state you will struggle to get out of it, you would need to go to the app and switch the device on, then switch it off from home assistant. I was hoping I could mirror the true state of the device in HA. I know the Current readings are more stable, Il rather use the current values to make decisions in automations.

If you try and switch from the app, you will see that the Switch State on HA would not follow what you do on the app. I guess the switch is only an command from HT to the device without any kind of feedback.

most people will use ANY excuse to rationalize their antisocial behaviour and justify their misconduct - take hamas/anc/trump/biden… [fill in whatever you want - don’t forget your own name :crazy_face:]
klipinniebosGroetnis :laughing:

i am sure there must be a market for homes with HA, lacking most of the skills to do it myself, if money were no problem, i would go for a place which i could control with an app… then again there is overkill, like the chinese guy in a video i saw whos place is so full of gadgets, even his fridge sends him an email when the meat is going off :see_no_evil:

That (the first one) is a conversation I would gladly have with informed people, but obviously not on this thread here.

eish @plonkster … m’thinks we have a lot on this forum who prefer to keep mum on the vanities of life - sometimes silence is golden :speak_no_evil: