Letting some smoke out!

Vaporised the tip of a screwdriver while live lining a general purpose outlet. Your eyes suffer from being flashed and you get momentary blindness as well as a melted screwdriver tip. Not much smoke but some bright light certainly came out

4 Likes

For @TheTerribleTriplet :wink:

pic.twitter.com/AqGtCU2R3w

— No Context Humans (@HumansNoContext) March 1, 2021
3 Likes

That dude is funny :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve watched a bit of his videos … where do you think I got my inspiration from?

Once or twice, we could have been twins … :laughing:

1 Like

Here’s the guy’s website: ElectroBoom | Electro BOOM, Where Electricity Can Hurt!
And the his Youtube channel: ElectroBOOM - YouTube

1 Like

The term used to describe this is ‘arc eyes’.
If you get it bad your eyes feel like they have a layer of sandpaper…

Man, arc eyes suck. I’ve had it once… many years ago. Mostly because just closing your eyes while dad welds right next to you is not sufficient protection. The UV goes right through the eyelids.

I recently did some welding on a security gate at my house. The metal is thin and I kept burning through and having to re-weld. I ended up with some pretty bad “sun burn” on my leg… cause I did not wear proper protection, since it was supposed to be a “quick” job.

Never underestimate the amount of UV in a stick welding flame. Men… if you want to have kids, wear proper protection.

I repaired a clothes iron that was intermittent so to minimise things that could be a problem I removed the thermal fuse. (what good could that be? All it can do is go O.C…)
I was then provided with a lesson as to why these are important: The thermostat got stuck in the on position (after the iron had been left on unattended) A fire started and the plastic parts went up in flames.
Fortunately someone was around and I didn’t find out if the iron rest on the ironing board would have stopped the ironing board also catching alight…

I have a Siemens coffee machine with a thermal fuse that is blown about once a year because there is a bug in the firmware that leaves the heater block on sometimes. The heater block heat-soaks and blows the thermal fuse. The thermal fuse is actually a combination device with a fuse AND a thermostat (also sometimes called a clixon). The fuse is rated a little higher than the clixon, the idea being that the fuse only blows if the thermostat also fails. The problem is… when it gets heat soaked that all goes out the window…

I was also very tempted to just kill the thermal fuse… given that it has another safety device already. I ended up rather using a cheaper alternative (that one is about 12 Euro, and impossible to find locally).

My liewe FFF#*($%&%KKK !!!

So I’m using a legit charger for the small batts … and I smell burning skin AGAIN!!!

This little shiite … expande, started melting the plastic, did not see or know anything …

… till I touched it!

Oh, no. The worst feeling is when you feel your skin melting even before it hurts.

2 Likes

The SMELL … o man! :man_facepalming:

This charger …

Not the chargers fault, faulty cell.

Here is the thing that scares the shiite out of me … if I was not here, I would not have placed a bet against a fire not starting for as I threw the cell on the tiles, running for the braaitongs to throw it outside, smoke was escaping the cell. Any longer on the charger and it would have ignited, being NiMH.

Many years ago I invested in a smart charger and that has been a life changer. Not sure if yours is the same.
This charger can charge 1 cell at a time and works on the cell voltage. Most cheap AA or AAA chargers just works an a timer, so they don’t look at the current state of the cell but just pump the charge for 4h where this one looks at only what is needed. Suddenly all those AA rechargeables that only laste 1-2years still work after 8 years.

Not sure if that faulty cell would have been picked up…

@TheTerribleTriplet Man - when you have a reputation you have to live it DAILY!!

I’m NOT a “ongeluksvoel” but pfokkit man, when does it stop! :man_facepalming:

Make and model … now please! :laughing:
Cause I think you hit the nail on its head. Should have stopped charging a faulty cell, caused by incorrect charging parameters, for YES, these cells last 2-3 years MAX.

1 Like

Exactly how it works. Ow, that is going to hurt pretty soon. Although the delay between melting and hurting isn’t quite that long.

1 Like

1 Like

Right, here is what a split second of not concentrating, can do.

This Master’s Doctoral degree is getting expensive.
Ps.If one cannot find humor in it, it is a waste.

Tightened nut on 1, swapped spanner, back was sore … and it touched 2. :man_facepalming:

Result?

But is is done … 32 x 280ah cells 2p/16s - ± 30kWh bank to “feel how it feels”.

Now I have 2 spanners, one for 10 nuts and one for the 13nuts. :laughing:

1 Like