Letting some smoke out!

Sharing … ok, let me share WHY I don’t want to do things myself anymore.

I have, from top to bottom:

1. Melted a connector box and burnt out the diodes on a solar panel. The diode was replaced and the panel still worked.
    Conclusion: Don’t install panels at 12pm on a Cpt summer day whilst sitting on the edge of a double story roof whilst thinking of sitting under an aircon with a beer, series-parallel connections will get confusing.
  2. Let the smoke out on a 12v inverter connected to a 24v battery. Took a few minutes before the white smoke came out. It was repaired to last a few months longer till it finally gave up.
    Conclusion: Don’t get any new ideas late at night No, just don’t.
  3. Burnt out a Phocos MPPT by installing it in a cupboard.
    Conclusion: Keep MPPT’s well ventilated.
  4. Numerous UPS’e saw the smoke let out of them when connecting pos to neg.
    Conclusion: Don’t be in a hurry, being overcautious, under pressure. Take your time! Relax.
  5. 100ah lead acid batteries shorted …
    Conclusion: Don’t be in a hurry, being overcautious, under pressure. Step back and relax!
  6. Burnt out 1 x BMS. When translating from Chinese to English, a LOT is lost in translation. Even drawing pictures helped naught.
    Conclusion: Speak to someone who can translate Chinese instructions to English, then write your own manual.
  7. When you have volt measuring wires and after all and sundry has been disconnected, you don’t think and pull the wires back out of the trunking … just don’t!
    Them wires become instant heating elements with the room filled with white smoke so thick you cannot see your hand in front of your face … and grabbing them with your hands to rip them off … a even worse idea that! Burnt human flesh stinks something aweful.
    Conclusion: Remember to disconnect both sides! Put Anderson Connectors on ALL little wires (fuses where you can) so that you can 1) remember to disconnect them and 2) can disconnect them quickly and easily with no smell emanating from your hands. Grab pliers, NOT scissors, if you forgot.

The above a very costly Doctoral Degree in “What The F$%* Not To Do.” :laughing:

And that is why I would rather ask “less qualified” people today to help me out. It saves ME a ton of money, to pay others to help make connections simpler.

11 Likes