It's about time

Indeed. I’ve made some people (on social media… so not people I know too well :slight_smile: ) quite angry by telling them heating water with LPG does not save money. And nobody wants to hear they just threw their money away.

In the end, as I always say, nature tends to lend itself very well towards being approximated by mathematics, or in other words, a little bit of math tells you. You google the calorific content of LPG, convert that to kwh, and multiply it by the efficiency of your “gas geyser”, which is typically not very brilliant. LPG is more expensive just about every time. The trouble is that people replace an electricity bill with a gas bill… and only focus on the electricity savings afterwards.

The same actually happens in the perenial EV vs ICE debate. “Oh, you just wait until you have to replace a battery!”, they say, but nobody realises that in the time the battery lasts, you will spend about the same amount of money on petrol.

Thought about this … as I’ve read that exact sentence many times over many posts on a few forums.

Yes, for some it does for NOW … BUT … WHEN the replacements start, as it is a “voice in the dark”, a theory, not my problem “today”, I would bet my left whatever that people will have a very changed view. :wink:

Time will tell, but not today.

EDIT: Cause over time, needs change, perspectives change, budgets change … everything changes just like nothing lasts forever.

Let me add another point about heatpumps. When you have a week-long outage, as is now common in many parts of the country, you really appreciate the low consumption of a heat pump. The 3kW element that you didn’t worry about, is suddenly a huge thing when it has to be juggled with other things.

Similar to @Swartkat, I also have gas water heating as a backup. When we moved into this house, everything was gas. I soon discovered that we run though 48kg of LPG in about 5 weeks (not just ourselves, I also had a tenant at the time). I discovered however that they kept the old electrical geyser as a backup… so during covid I simply switched back to this, and then when that started hurting too much, I installed a heat pump. So now the gas is the backup, and this works really well for us. During an extended outage the inverter can run the heat pump, and if that also fails due to low sunshine, we can switch to LPG.

Whew! These discussions stray far and wide…
WWP posted a challenge about heating water with solar PV.
I hear his call because panels aren’t hard to come by and are cheaper than they have ever been so why isn’t there a simple ‘plug and play’ PV hot water system on the market?

I read the thread but I don’t comment on any thread on that forum anymore for many years now.

I feel people make it overly complicated and those types of installations sound messy to me and potentially more maintenance is required. Dangerous even if not done correct.

I see that he also has a 150L geyser but supposedly no inverter or panels yet. If it is merely heating water that he is interested in, then he should look at those geyserwise thingys with dc elements etc and all else that was suggested but have it done properly.

But why would you want to go through the whole shebang in getting panels etc only to use it for water heating? That solar could be applied elsewhere as well.

Then rater get a small 3Kva inverter, heat your water the normal way and have some savings elsewhere when the geyser is charged.