Introducing MongooseMan (and his installation)

Congrats @MongooseMan, and a job well done to @JacoDeJongh

1 Like

Will probably just use this for now, since I have it lying around (stole it from the pool pump when I put a Sonoff Pow on there).

Will at least sort out the scheduling until I can do a “smart” solution

1 Like

CBI has come out with a new timer that has built in wifi, called the Astute timer, fits both DIN and MINI rail

I assume that’s the one @gbyleveldt is referring to?
Pity it doesn’t seem to link to Home Assistant.

@JacoDeJongh did you use dowel screws into the roof?

Hi Mark I used these kits:

It contains a 100mm screw that get holds the bracket to one of the main trusses, you use the little piece of wood for a spacer, cut the top tile to allow the black plastic part to slide under it. Then lastly you would seal the entrance with the sponge part.

The end result looks like this:

1 Like

Looks good. I do like the plastic water “stopper” :wink:
Also you can run cables through there as well…!

I assume that’s the one @gbyleveldt is referring to?
Pity it doesn’t seem to link to Home Assistant.

Not yet :wink:

As per the above; I’ve managed to modify those CBI Astute switches to run Tasmota. It’s a little fiddly but I’ve successfully done two so far. 3rd one I’ll finish a little later.

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/cbi-astute-power-monitor-switch-tasmotized.1108106/#post-26290342

1 Like

Very nice.
Removing the old module might be tricky for most if you only have a soldering iron.

HI @gbyleveldt , did you test the CBI wifi program, if so is it the same as the Sonoff Ewelink or worse, peformamce wise

Very nice.
Removing the old module might be tricky for most if you only have a soldering iron

Thanks. Yeah, it’s not a beginner type project. I was more curious if it could be done. I still need to figure out where I’m going to use the 3 I got :slight_smile:

HI @gbyleveldt , did you test the CBI wifi program, if so is it the same as the Sonoff Ewelink or worse, peformamce wise

No idea how the original program works. I never bothered to download it; bear in mind that it’s CBI’s own app I believe, so less chance of it being integrated to something like HA.

That brings me to my biggest issue with Smart Devices. Every manufacturer wants to do their own thing and in doing so, lock up their ecosystems in order to force people to stick with one brand. There’s so much fragmentation at the moment which won’t do anything to advance the technology. Typical short sighted greed.

2 Likes

do buy a Sonoff with a relay, but thinking of the CBI Astute, which I assume is certified to be used in a db board.

That looks awesome! Much congrats. Heard about your roof tiles. Luckily when they got to my roof, they had a lifetime of experience as we have the same tiles. Not four layers though :smiley: . Went considerable faster as I only have 8 panels.

1 Like

Mongoose man that is one hell of a system! Very impressed.

With regards to that particular timer, what a peace of crap. I went through 2 in less than a year as it also starts to malfunction.

The touch screen is rubbish, its backup battery is crap and it is notoriously difficult to program as opposed to other timers.

Get something else. Or wait and prove me wrong.

Installed a CBI Astute timer, took a bit of fiddling, works fine, internet connectivity between timer and router not as good as Sonoff
Using it as a wireless switch and timer for the geyser, so if I see there is idle pv, I switch on the geyser.
I have a Samite/mini rail db, so it was an easy swap with the standard cbi timer

Yeah, I know, hated using it in my pool system. Will get an astute rather, then I can integrate it with Home assistant

Managed to find a Cbi Astute for R350 from Builders in durban (they had at least 3 I could see). Will install it once I’m back in CT.

That is a far distance for a wild (mon)goose chase :smiley: