Installer Prices

Sometimes people, like me, will share their NodeRED to make it plug-and-play for the next person.

HA and NodeRED communities are quite cool with that. “Paying it forward” comes to mind at times.

The best tool I bought, Plonkster was also “in on it” if memory serves, we both bought same time, was the 12v Bosch drill I bought on a special. Best buy EVER! Manual labor with screwdrivers begone with you. :slight_smile:

Absolutely! Been wanting one for a long time. The SDS type. Drilling holes not a big issue. I mostly manage that without stuffing things up. I hear its a game changer these cordless SDS types.

One day when I’m big and more time on hands, I will humbly ask for your assistance like before. Hell between you and me we set up my entire installation!

It was this one, and I killed mine! I was drilling a 25mm hole through a kitchen cupboard with a hole saw when the smoke started coming out of the brushes. The wood was harder than I thought. After that, it was never quite the same again. It still worked, but it would start smelling very smoky after a very short time, and eventually got to the point where I could not drill a hole anymore.

I bought my dad the same one, and he worked his quite hard and has not had a problem at all.

I now have a GSB 18V-50, which is brushless. Complete with carry case and three batteries. Presently on a special at Builders Warehouse.

I have many of those as well, but with a lot of them, the job still cost less than someone else quoted (even with the cost of the tool included), and at least some of them have been used more than once too.

Some of my electrical tools are in that category too. For example, my earth leakage clamp meter. That has been used in a serious job twice. I also learned a lot in the process, so I get to subtract some school fees as well. I think it paid for itself.

Installation coming on nicely I must say. Every 2-3 hours I take a sneak peak but feel guilty for being there. :crazy_face:

Cant wait to share pictures once all is done. I really hope they finish today. These last 3 days we 've been permanently on Eskom whereas the grid is usually my backup on crap days.

Nou gaan my goed soos julle sin lyk! :smiley:

1 Like

You’re hole saw was blunt……

Actually I think it was the reverse. It’s not a wood saw, it’s one of those HS ones that can cut steel as well. So it cut into the wood quickly, then clogged itself almost instantly. Maybe the hardness of the wood was only part of it, but it burned far quicker than I would have expected.

I still have the hole saw. It is as sharp and dangerous as it has always been. I’ve cut two holes into metal since too (with a different drill).

1 Like

And here we go!

Difficult to appreciate it though with that horrible water damaged wall.

But everything is done, including earthing of the solar panels.

I may have mentioned to the installer that sooner than later I would want one more battery.

See how he helps to motivate me to get it done …

2 Likes

This just messes with my OCD … :rofl:

I see the installer left space open underneath the MPPTs … well done.

When my 250/85, it is maxed ito panels, gets piping hot, the fan cooling me, and it down, has space to move air underneath it, to where it is cool again.

Mine as well. This and all the holes left from my previous DIY installation.

I will tend to this definitely.

That that battery cable arrangement, shouldn’t one look at a Lynx?

No idea what this is. Some sort of combiner bus bar thing?

Indeed. Start here.

The cheapest option, which quite a few people do, is they start with a Lynx Battery-In, and they modify it to take fuses like the Lynx Distributor. See here how Jono converts one.

You can of course use the Lynx Distributor, which has the nice feature of also monitoring the fuses, but it is significantly more expensive.

HI sorry for a negative comment. From what I see there is that you would start running into imbalances a few months from now… I don’t know what this look like at the back. But I am missing at lease one positive and one negative wire.

Top left is the issue. It need to be in series with the rest - not a big issue to fix. If you are using 2x pairs of battery cables to the inverter then make sure about how they are wired.

For example below - the postives should be wired to the bottom battery.

1 Like

Yes, hence the comment for the Lynx with equal-length cables.
The ETower marketing is pretty terrible as it’s made to look neat and not practical. From what I recall, they say if 3 or more batteries, then they need to be wired top and bottom. But the first prize is connecting them all to a common bus.

2 Likes

I cannot see at the back of the batteries, but there is a negative and positive cable in each of the 2 vertical trunkings underneath the batteries.

Maybe it was joined at the back, I’m not sure.

It looks to me like the one stack on the left goes to the busbar.
Then the single batt on the right is ready for the 2nd batt there, going to the busbar.

Hence the potential of the single batt getting unbalanced if you take too long to get that 4th batt?

(… more motivation …) :wink:

Or … rewire them as 1 x 3 batts in parallel if it takes a while for the 4th module.

Lithium batteries aren’t as bad as lead acid.

If there is a bus bar at the back with the way it is set up now, it will be fine.

To expound on that: the issue with lead acid is that they can pass significant current after they are full (while boiling their electrolyte). If you have even small amounts of differing impedances in the paths, it makes a difference, because the internal resistance of the battery (while charging) is relatively low compared to the total path resistance.

Lithium, on the other hand, stops accepting charge when they fill up. So much so that we need balancers to help the current past the high cells, otherwise they would never balance. This phenomenon also helps us when they are in parallel. If one of them fills up first, it stops accepting charge, and the other modules (which are not full yet) gets the rest.

Therefore a slight difference in cable length is not going to kill you, especially not if the battery is fully recharged daily or at least weekly.

Not a license to be sloppy, of course, but I don’t see a particularly huge issue with the above. I do however defer to two other things, 1) installers with more experience with the product, and 2) whatever the manufacturer says you must do.

… when “big names” differ … I tend to go with KISS …