Heatpump vs Solar Expansion

Phone head office and ask them who can repair your unit…

I did exaclty that. Hence I have a nice report. As the head office wanted it too.

The report said - Catestrophic Failure

2 Likes

You use 1.5h of heating per day
Using mains power feeding the element costs 4 x R3 x 1.5 = R18 per day
Using a heat pump will cost R18 / 5 (COP5) = R3.60
Difference is R15 per day (which is a very long payback period for the heat pump replacement)

I’d rather work on a COP of 3 for a geyser heatpump.

1 Like

It doesnt seem that you use enough hot water daily to justify the expense of a heat pump (as well as the added maintenance etc).

I have a heat pump (also enerflow btw) and I am very happy with it and have been for many years. But it requires more maintenance than a normal element. If I didnt have small kids and high water usage I think I would have stuck with a normal element.

My plan if I ever go away from a heat pump is to install a smaller element (1.5kW) into two geysers in series and run them only during the day when the sun shines to store enough water for the evening.

I agree, heat pump COP is closer to 3.5 or maybe 4. Five is an optimistic number you very probably only see under perfect conditions.

Using the numbers we have already (4kWh vs 1.5kWh), the savings per day is 2.5kWh, at Cape Town rates (R3.08/kWh) is R7.70 per day. Or, if you use a lot of electricity and push into the >600kWh bracket, then times 4.27, or R10.67 per day. Let’s say R10 per day, then spending 15k on a new heat pump (probably about ballpark for a “3kW” unit right now) means 1500 days ROI, or about 4 years.

Electricity will go up though, so you could get the money back in about 3 years. Which technically is a win if the device has a warranty of 5 years and lasts at least that long… but isn’t particularly joy-inducing.

If you have decent north facing roof space I think you would be better off installing more PV (4x 560W panels ~R7k) and put all the excess energy into your geyser (via an element) so that it is still warm enough in the morning. You shouldn’t need more battery capacity for loads in the day.

In my case we only have East/West roof so more panels doesn’t help much with winter sun anyway, the heat pump however drastically reduces the kWh required to get the geyser up to temp so that it only needs a bit of a top-up in the morning (~9°C drop overnight atm), it makes much more efficient use of the PV energy available, though the old HP is limited to a 60°C max, newer ones go up to 80°C.

On the low gas pressure failure, the heat pump controller should have had a high pressure and low pressure switch input to protect it…

The ITS units raise an error for various things, but a drastic change in water pressure will trigger the error, as well as issues with gas pressure. The machine locks itself out if the error happens more than 3 times. I can’t say for sure that that means the ITS machines will not fail in the same manner, but it seems they at least tried to protect the machine.

1 Like