Greenhouse gas discussion (tread carefully, be respectful)

Maybe I missed it - all I saw was the bit about her saying CO2 absorbs IR?

Not the first time I come across AMOC …

Really bad for this to happen one day …

You missed it or I imagined it.

I misheard/misconstrued. She said that C02 is good at keeping planets WARM.

So it’s like so many things: A certain amount is good, but a greater amount not so good.

Yup. And one of the things I find frustrating about that subset of people who argue that “CO2 is plantfood!”.

Yes, but some of y’all have never killed a rose bush by giving it too much manure, and it shows.

:slight_smile:

Ah, but it is, plants are a carbon sink, they decay and become coal over millennia, and then in the blink of an eye, the human race forgot that and burnt all that millennia of sequestered carbon and sent it skywards again.
It has been nature’s balancing act since time immemorial, we as a race just interfered.
CO2 is plant food, and you can do worse than planting a tree or two.

1 Like

https://archive.is/5P2Mm

Heating of things uses a lot of power. This has traditionally been done by gas. Can electricity be used to replace this energy source?

Most of the modern SMR (Small Modular Reactor) designs are actually targeting process heat, rather than electricity. They are far more efficient at that (thank electricity), and become remarkably economical.

1 Like

It would be good to hear of some success stories itr.
I haven’t heard anything for a long time…

Read of this before, this past weekend, driving at night … no insects on the windscreen, as in none.

Stat of the day: February 2024 was the warmest ever, 1.77C above pre-industrial average

Zakopane in Poland last month. Europe’s winter, from December to February, was the second warmest on record for the continent. Photograph: Anadolu/Getty Images

Last month was the warmest February on record globally, scientists have said. February was 1.77C warmer than the pre-industrial average for the month and 0.81C above the 1991-2020 average. The global average temperature for the past 12 months was the highest on record, at 1.56C above pre-industrial levels. That puts the world temporarily above the 1.5C threshold beyond which, over the long term, the worst impacts of climate change are expected.

Climate check: Argentina fights against vast swarms of mosquitoes blamed for dengue surge

Debora Blanco, 43, stands next to her daughter Milagros Blanco, 11, who rests in a bed as she recovers from dengue fever at their home in Buenos Aires. Photograph: Agustín Marcarian/Reuters

Argentina is enduring an unprecedented mosquito outbreak, which has been blamed for a surge in cases of dengue, an infectious disease. About 75,000 cases of dengue and 47 deaths have been recorded in 2024. Mosquitoes are now appearing in the country’s southern provinces, a region where that was unthinkable 25 years ago, due to climate change.

And a very dry February in Southern Africa as El Nino was particularly strong this year.

TLDR: Crop shortages and so prices are up, which drives inflation up, which means interest rates stay high. Low dam levels all over. Kariba getting low inflow from the Zambezi and so hydropower is compromised.

1 Like

Whoops … this is not good at all!

I had a thought this week, because I am in Europe, that maybe one reason people don’t believe that climate change is real, is because they cannot see it. If you live in a cold place, 2°C increase is almost welcome, and not really noticable. If you see 38°C in summer… an additional two degrees absolutely is noticeable.

Meanwhile, the people who feel it, like those coffee and cocoa producers in Africa, are not heard. They also don’t have the luxury of writing it off as politics or the WEF/NWO/whoever trying to control you…

1 Like

Unless it is a change of 20+ deg and your snow disappears only to return 3m deep. Then you notice!

1 Like

Or there is so little snow or none, and everyone is surprised.

And then there is an event like this… hectic anomoly!

Dubai International Airport 🇦🇪 has recorded nearly 160 mm (6.3 inches) of rain in the last 24 hours. For context, most of the Dubaï metro typically averages 3.5 inches per year.

This is truly a historic event for the area. pic.twitter.com/wm9rTNCokS

— Nahel Belgherze (@WxNB_) April 16, 2024

Yeah, I wonder if they thought of stormwater drains?

Luckily, the planes are made in the West, so that they can move around in the downpours … :innocent:

Imagine in 10-20 years, the Sahara is again a lush tropical forest.

They have them but one place had 254mm in 24 hours - not even a well maintained drain system could handle that. And I guess Dubai scoped their system for smaller events.