Google account suddenly blocked without warning

Any luck with the second appeal?

Yes, appeal succeeded on the third try. On this try, I used the entire available writing space to indicate what I was doing at the time, as they encourage you to do. I explained that right before the closure, I was first asleep in my bed, and then I was taking the kids to school when the message came in. I wasn’t doing anything at the time.

After that I realised my phone tends to unlock itself in my pocket, a LOT. Despite having all sorts of locks on it, some bit of software has the right to unlock it. I would take out the phone from my pocket and it would start self-composing some insanely long bit, sometimes complete with auto-complete (which is dangerous, auto-complete learns from previous conversations!). So I bought a cover for the phone.

And the GoogleAI loved this and unblocked your account!! :rofl:

I googled for reasons why the phone unlocks itself. There are many people with this problem. Apparently you have to disable “Smart lock”, which is something that allows some apps (with that permission I assume) to unlock the phone. I tried everything I found online and the phone still unlocked itself. It got to the point where I could pretty much not carry the phone in my pocket anymore. This was new behaviour, must have come in with some new version of software.

Rather than waste more time on it, I decided to throw money at the problem and just buy a cheap cover.

I have no idea if that had anything to do with it, but my brain has now irrevocably linked the issues together. Looking at the “sent” folder on gmail, I certainly wasn’t emailing random people. But I may have been sending YouTube comments or something. Who knows. Would have been nice if google disclosed what triggered it, but they did not.

possible culprit to look at are notifications on the lock screen - “I” have written some very elaborate and possibly lewd sms in response to banking sms notifications :flushed: (though I do not think any were ever sent). I have since removed sms notification on the lockscreen…

1 Like

Yup, I’ve also done that. Thankfully never sent it, and thankfully my language use is fairly benign (although, I have often wondered if there is a incognito mode for WhatsApp, for when you want to maybe talk dirty to the wife a bit). Once I auto-composed a rather long thing to my boss. That would have been hilarious, if it had been sent.

What worried me more, is that it would launch google chrome from my pocket, and google for words I recently used in conversations. It googled for a LOT of BMW i3 stuff (because a while ago I was researching that particular car) from my pocket. This was how I knew it wasn’t merely accessing things from the lock screen, it was completely unlocking.

I wonder if a virus is not to blame here…

AI virus … what Plonk is describing is next level.

Sheeesh this is quite insane. I’m glad you figured out what the culprit was.

I imagine Google didn’t want to tell you what you did wrong so that legitimate scammers / spammers can’t use it to do something else with their next burner acccount.