Geyserwise Timer on HA

I bought the upgrade direct from Geyserwise in Parow. Contact them direct.

OK, Geyserwise website is terrible.
If one was starting from scratch and had a regular geyser that they want to get into HA for temperature readings and thermostat control, what device would you buy now?

My next geyser is probably going this way.
https://shellysa.co.za/

Geyserwise, the Wifi addition, I think it is a brand new move, hence not everywhere available yet.

I also find that Sustainable is the better source as Geyserwise is geared towards installers, not the public, hence their direct prices are quite a bit more than Sustainable.

To note: 150l of boiling water “exploding” is not something I want to dabble with.
Getting the temp reading inside a geyser, is a challenge. Geyserwise has an element with a temp sensor in, sold via Sustainable, but that needs another part, I’m told, for me to see the temp. Needing more and more parts puts me off.

Also found a few off-the-shelf ideas on the web, not many with temp sensors though. Some include installation, but require a monthly fee making them quite expensive over a few years.

Okay you are lucky I guess. I called the PTA branch and apparently they are only launching them in October. They shouldn’t be for sale as yet. :joy:

There is also this. Its confusing AF.

Yes, was told about that, till the new display came out. Had to replace the entire system, to which I said, nope, not gonna happen.

Send me a PM, I can share the email address for Cpt that you can use to get a display, let them courier it to you.

I found this, still investigating:

This is not the new one that you can use to replace your normal display. This is only for the wifi-enabled kits. The new one will be available end of October and you can connect your old unit to make it have wireless capabilities.

Also looking at this … just need to figure the temp sensor.

Micro Robotcs recently got a new item that might be intresting.
It’s a ~R200 ESP8266 Board with 30A Relay and all the IO pins available. You should be able to just add your temp sensor to any of the pins, set it up and go.
Only thing is that it runs of DC power, so you need to do your own AC/DC supply for it.

1 Like

I don’t know if it is a legal requirement, but all the solar controllers I have opened up break both the neutral and live connections on the control. Some of them do it with 1 relay, some with 2.

Personally I would use a normal Sonoff, flashed with tasmota and a contactor in a sealed enclosure.

1 Like

From my own experience and research using the geyserwise thermostat is the most viable solution.
I dont trust using just a smart relay and temp sensor, if it fails, 150L of boiling water and a big mess when the safety valve opens.
The geyserwise thermostat has a mechanical shutoff at 90C
Ive seen some strip the NTC out of the tip and replace with a DS18b20 to aid in using it with a smart relay. Might be a good option for your Shelly version.

1 Like

I have been warned yes. And I tend to agree to not dabble with that which is not my comfort zone.

So far, using Geyserwise as is, I have access to the ioT display using NodeRED. I’m this far:

Now finalising the battery watts into the equation i.e.:
If Battery_Watts >2500 then switch on Geyser.
ELSE
Don’t switch on the geyser.

Once I got that figured, then the painstaking next step is to:
If Geyser_Temp < 60 AND Battery_Watt >2500, switch on geyser
Else
Don’t switch on the geyser.

The Tuya App, is still in operation for the “things that I’m vaguely aware of moving around in the house”. As not all days are good days ito solar.

… then add geyser 2 … and maybe 3.

Got my unit from centurion today and will plug in this evening.

Apparently the new boards can take the geyser up to 75 degrees instead of the usual 65. That means you can also store more energy in geyser.

If you got kids or very old folks in the household then maybe a good idea to add a mixing valve for safety. I bought one but never installed it… now I need to find it.

1 Like

If you do end up installing the mixing valve, please report back…

I’ve searched a few years ago, but everything I found were purely safety devices. By that I mean that they were reported to be horrible to actually use over the rated temperature: constant switching between hot and cold water instead of a nice blended lower temperature… So you won’t burn, but the experience won’t be pleasant either.

If someone has a known-good mixing type, it would be great to know.

On my previous house I had an Apex brand, but it was known as a “tempering valve”. That was installed back in 2012… so surely it must still be around?

PTC, whatever that is, can go 75.
Rest is still maxed 65 on mine.

PTC is that R2500 element of Geyserwise which allegedly saves on electricity. Geyserwise PTC Stainless Steel 2000w AC 1100w DC Geyser Element (48-72v) | LiveStainable

In my previous place I also had a post mixing valve on the EV tube solar geyser. It actually worked well as in you didn’t even notice it was there, no temperature swings etc. but it only lasted for a month or 2 and then one day I noticed the water was ### hot. I then asked my neighbour at the time who was a plumber, he peaked in to the roof and said there are no leaks, but I shouldn’t bother because a post mixing valve is anyway a piece of #### which doesn’t last, so I should just leave it.

Will do. Managed to find it. It’s an apex brand. Will see when I can get a chance to install.

Damn. Means I got happy for nothing then.

I was told by a plumber that Apex is not a particularly good brand, but at least the one I had in my place worked well for the 8 years I lived there. It’s not a particularly complex bit of tech either, it’s your normal bimetal mechanical stuff.

1 Like