Generator backup options for inverters

Preferably without also converting to an external combustion engine…

In our case we wanted a sustainable option with support though.

Ok, I’ve had enough!!!

All this talk about gennies and this and that and Eskom and where that is going, I went and bought me some gennies man, some real gennies … one per couple and I dare them to complain now.

Just looking for a fuel tanker now. :thinking:

Beautiful V8 machines (I count 4 valve covers each side). A bit unconventional for a generator, I’d prefer a straight 6 myself, for technical reasons :slight_smile:

Interesting topic actually. Most mid-range lorries use a straight-6 arrangement, since space is not an issue. Though not Scania… they use a V8 :slight_smile:

1 Like

The 770-hp Scania V8 engine sounds sooo nice!

You know me, I like to have more than one thing sorted with one purchase. So they are per room, lekker toastie room temps on these cold Cpt nights. Did find some nice sound-canceling head muffs for the light sleepers. too!

Like I said TTT of forum, that is still small stuff. :wink: Me and @Gh3kko got a friend that owns a company that build generators, family own business and doing this for years now. They build all sizes of units, even units that go’s in to 6m and 12m containers.

One of the gene’s they own is a V16 with a twin supercharge and quad turbo setup on. I must check where some videos is where they do resistant testing on this units. They got this 6 meter container full of resistors inside with isolator switch’s that they switch on to generate/simulate a load. The turbos and branch start to glow then.

1 Like

At this point, space is an issue, and the V-configuration makes complete sense.

The upside to a straight-6 is that all lateral forces cancel out. The engine is longer, takes up more space, but is easier to work on (in trucks they can often be overhauled in the frame), and generally just has more steel to the construction.

The V-construction on the other hand is shorter, saving space (which is why you want a V6 in a car, eg Toyota’s 1GR-FE), but things are a little less beefy, with two cylinders sharing a spot on the crankshaft, and it vibrates a bit more.

So as always, it’s an engineering tradeoff.

Amazon and Teraco data centers in Brackengate.

Amazon: 7 units on site

Teraco got 10 and space for 10 more. You will see where the Aircon parts is on the roof and exhaust’s sticking out of the rear. They even got there own HV change over sub station on site.