EVSE - custom for solar

A post was merged into an existing topic: Just have a think, ICE cars EVs and power generation

I see them as a very welcome way to bridge the gap. I am probably biased (because I have affairs in a Northerly direction from here… where they are even further behind), but the RAV4 Prime EV literally ticks all my boxes. It is a normal “car” when I go on those really long trips, and in town it is an EV.

The other option is to have two cars, one ICE and one EV. I agree that this is the more sensible option. But then the EV needs to cost less than half a bar…

Toyota seems to get that people like me exist. I literally don’t care about charging stations in Southern Namibia right now, because that’s 5 years or more out… if we are lucky. But I can use a small affordable EV in town right now… where I spend 99% of my time. If a compromise (aka hybrid) becomes the cheaper way of doing that… then I am all for that abomination :wink:

Same boat, would really love to have a small EV, range around a 150-200kM would be cool, especially at reasonable price. But not hybrid, it’s just a me thing :smirk: I get that as a bride, people would use em.

I am no treehugger and don’t want to pollute this with the politics or environmental talking points.
Groetnis

1 Like

And that is why I understand Toyota’s response so well. That’s exactly the kind of car I would buy. I mean, I’d probably buy a good used one the first time (as is my custom), but we’ll get there. Toyota is saying: Here’s 8 options, let the market decide! Everyone else is going: It’s EV or nothing, we don’t care about your load shedding concerns…

:slight_smile:

Hybrid are the worst of both world and overly complicated.
Choose one tech and stick to it.

I think it depends. If you are referring to something like Toyota’s “Synergy drive” where the drive trains are directly connected, and where the car has hardly any EV range (except maybe the last 500m up the driveway): You may have a point. If you have a motor at the wheel, an extra battery pack, and a 50km electric range (as with the RAV4 Prime) then I don’t think it is overly complicated, and for me that is the best of both worlds!

In the end, the ideal for electric car ownership is:

1. Have only one car (typical in Europe, not so much here)
  2. This car (or cars) should be usable for everything I currently do.
  3. At least one car should be fully electric

Now pick any two of those. If I take options 1 and 2, then I cannot have option 3. If I take 2 and 3, then 1 is out the door. And so forth…

Here is an summary article for those that don’t want to listen to the hour of Japanese from the video plonkster posted :smiley:

1 Like

Presenting your Royal Highness, the illustrious King Jason II, self proclaimed Lord of the PV world, etc., etc., hurray everybody.

Edit: Spot the reference. If you are a parent that should be easy.