Eskom ... is there ANY chance? In CPT there is

Well now this aged well…

Less than 24 hours later

They do not know what they do not know…

StadigeGroetnis

I was just gonna post … seems LS levels have increased.

Hello Darkness our old friend … imagine our surprise… (sing it all to a tune)

Notwithstanding, “they” said, cold weather is good. No one told them about ice-cold weather. :rofl:

2 Likes

It appears that most people, media included, are just as dumb and moronic as “they” think the public are…

EksdomGroetnis :wink:

The public … I’m sorry listening to friends and family, the “public” … o my.

And it is not only solar. Any subject on this earth be it politics, Ukraine, religion … flat earthers.

You cannot teach nor buy common sense.

Good reporting!
It’s good to read someone who has some facts to report on: Interesting to hear about wind coming to the party. I thought they couldn’t afford to run those OCGTs but maybe you have to start your election campaign early!

Yeah, what a dumpster fire. Also, because they do that thing where for 20k, “staff writer” will publish anything, quoting the paying CEO as if he is somehow a good news source, you essentially cannot believe a thing they say.

When I saw the article, I immediately thought it’s going to be about the simple fact that it takes roughly 10% more energy to go through the battery than direct… and some people really didn’t think that through :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup, pay to play sponsored content (Yuck)

1 Like

What a relief … Eskom is “back to normal”. :rofl:

Ok, that is some sick “humor” … I know, but dang, what else do we have left?

No maintenance this winter, and cooler temps allow better production. till it got COLD … coming this summer, hope they are wrong:

And in Jhb …

1 Like

Probably closer to 20%+. The better LV inverters are around 90-92% efficient one way…

1 Like

Which explains the jump to Stage 3 during the day. They even mention the OCGT use in their power alert:

Wish I could be a fly on the wall at Eskom, ministers, pressi’s walls … after all the bluster they spewed.

Zip nada nothing and Zero. They care less, will likely blame us or the cold or apart… Whatever…

MoedeloosGroetnis

How about wet coal??

So the EAF picture isn’t as good as the electricity minister promised us, who would have seen that coming :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I haven’t been keeping up on the Eskom and our new minister lately. I just remember picking up 200kg anthracite on Sunday for heating due to the cold front hitting us on Monday and shortly after lighting the fire I got a notification saying that loadshedding will continue to be suspended. I remember sitting there thinking “Hmmmm, I’m assuming they’re taking the cold front into account, surely.”

And then the first sentence on their next power alert reads: “Due to increased demand”

Fly on the wall: definitely. Especially after reading that they will be able to deal with the cold weather, EAF is going up etc. etc.

Yeah, had this conversation yesterday. There is a certain theoretical max they could achieve, if they could fix everything that is fixable, and after that, the same old fundamentals would come back into play. The fundamentals being: Same management, same power stations, nothing new and large really coming on board any time soon, Koeberg still out. We had a bit of a (second? third?) honeymoon, but it was always clear we’ll be back here before winter is out.

The bigger question remains: Will we avoid higher than stage 6 this winter? In other words, can we hold the present state for long enough to make it to October, or even the end of the year? I don’t want to wager an answer, I’m a bit more positive again after my trip to Namibia.

Though, truth be told, I’ve driven over 400km of regional and district (typically very badly maintained) dirt roads while I was there, but nothing I drove in Namibia was as bad and jarring as the potholes in Springbok’s tarred roads.