Eskom ... is there ANY chance? In CPT there is

And in the interest of balance, we’ll talk to an idiot as well.

Then people listen to the whole thing, decide the idiot’s points makes more sense… and consider it authoritative based on the fact that some news program on television considered him a suitable spokesperson :slight_smile:

Another way to make it work is to invite more than one idiot (of varying levels) and watch them disagree (aka a debate). That also works.

That’s actually something I learned from people who study history. They tell you they don’t want consensus. Consensus means someone messed with the story and harmonised it. You want the raw disagreements, you want those little inconsistencies. That’s an indication that nobody has messed with it.

2 Likes

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/energy/431112-south-africans-with-solar-panels-could-pay-1000-more-for-electricity-than-big-power-users.html

Bah … bring it on!

Mybroadband is like the Sunday newspapers. Sensation rules!

1 Like

I expect that in time, TOU (time of use) tariffs will be coming to everyone. In the evenings everyone will by paying R4/unit then (which is the real cost of generating it, according to this article). The repayment period on battery systems will then become less, because at R4/kWh a battery suddenly starts paying for itself… :slight_smile:

I’ve been somewhat adamant in this debate that it is FAIR that solar-PV users should be expected to pay the levies that they do. When Cape Town started switching back to a model where you have a connection/service fee (the so-called Home tariff), I considered that good news. The flip side of my position, however, is that all other users must ALSO be expected to pay the fair cost of electricity. If SSEGs are required to pay for the true cost of the grid connection, then so should everyone else (with the possible exception of the poorest of the poor, aka the Lifeline tariff users).

If I’m to be consistent in my argument, then everyone should be paying the real cost of electricity in the evening… but also, critically, also during the day. That could even incentivise people to charge with cheap electricity and use it during peak. In Australia, for example, you could charge the batteries at 3AM (cheap) and use it during breakfast (expensive)…

But of course, as Richard says, MB tends to put the most negative spin possible on these things.

Good … let the state fight with the state.

The ONLY issue I have, is the fact that the local Munic was voted in by the community … mmmm.

Using your moneys to pay cadres…… meh its always a loose loose here.

Groetnis

I agree, but unless we do something about it, either with voters being more active voting or next level, withholding taxes and all that, which is a dangerous level to enter, there is nothing much leftover that we can do bar let “them” fight it out, as the gravy trains ALWAYS come to a stop, let’s hasten the process by instilling/encouraging factional fights between the looters. :wink:

One another note - few rands burnt in OCGT’s last night :frowning_with_open_mouth:

Feedback from Evening Peak 31/01/2022 (19:37)
Total demand: 29 221MW
Virtual Power Station: 256MW
Eskom OCGT’s Utilised: 14
IPP OCGT’s Utilised: 6
Renewable Generators: 1 015MW (Wind 928MW, CSP 87MW)

@Eskom_SA

Available Generation Capacity: 29 305MW

primal

Aaaaand BINGO… Blackouts announced again, still…

A clear trend, if you were ever in doubt…

Groetnis

What’s the trend?

Eskom optimistically saying there might be 0 days of loadshedding until August?
Or the fact that we started using OCGT last night?
Or just “there will be loadshedding sooner or later”? :slight_smile:

I think he means “it is clearly going up”. Which it is. But the Christmas pig was also having his best life the day before Christmas… so any trend can have an abrupt change in trajectory.

Of course De Ruyter is getting a lot of flack for this trend. Let’s hope it is turned around, and let’s also hope it’s not like with Meatco in Namibia, where they bring back a “better candidate” the moment things are turned around.

Just a different view of the same trend. Now what was that about turnaround again…
eaf trend down

Groetnis

That is the graph @Sarel.Wagner! EAF and UOF are the big indicators of the trend!

1 Like

Hence me wondering when I started this thread, at the time it was elections when things suddenly “worked”, and then after votes were counted, not so much anymore.

For SA to economically grow, more jobs, we need more generation AND it must be reliable.

The problem is … the money is gone.

Scary picture this one … best of 2021 is worse than worst of 2018.

AHA, let’s see where this actually goes …

Loadshedding economic crisis: Cape Town to procure power from independent power producers

Ja boet… in my best Churchill voice, We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds and on the streets……

Just look at what is happening in our councils at the moment, just that, to what end, so that provincial can take over again. This will likely happen to the CoCT IPP allocations, court cases using tax money to prevent CoCT citizens dropping Escam.

Groetnis

CoCT, from living here, having done all the registrations, emailing them for late PDP / drivers and vehicle licenses, getting refunds via email for accidental overbilling, this city does work for me. :wink:

1 Like