Energy Management in Home Assistant

Finally got HA setup (I must say it took a while) using MQTT from ESS. Still early days, and I also managed to get the CBI Astute integrated using Tuya.

1 Like

Looking good… Please remember to post updates from time to time as your automation grows.

I will do that.
I am running individual scripts until I can sort out my dropdown entity. I can get it to read the sensor correctly but I can’t seem to get the correct mqtt publishing payload. I am sure I will eventually get it right.

Nice circle things, are they a custom card?

I use a drop down to select say the power output and then use node red to publish the json formatted text to the gx

It is the Tesla-style-solar-power-card.

Can you please share the yaml snippet on how to do this?

Very nice.
Why choose MQTT over modbus?

Things get a bit funny with modbus if under 5s polling also I had an issue where I couldn’t connect to 1 device over modbus (and HA changes things often so read the breaking changes all the time for modbus). Mqtt is also very robust, between the two no real difference, maybe some more cpu over head on the gx

I bought an Emporia Vue 2 of Amazon about a year ago, comes with 16x 50A CT Clamps and 2 x 200A Ct Clamps (US SPlit Phase). Fits in with your DB Board and measure the power going over each one of the breaker switches (also available in an 8CT Clamp if you don’t need that many)

Works very well but all the data resides in the cloud, there is an Non-Official Integration for home assistant and there were the normal issues with the cloud.

Great thing is that it runs and ESP8255 MCU and someone worked out how to reflash it with ESPHome.

There is also a pretty good video on how to install it

All data now goes directly to the MQTT broker in Home Assistant and doesn’t use the cloud for anything. Is great value for money and beats out pretty much all the open source alternatives in bang for your buck. I have been running it for 2 months now and works very well.

1 Like