COJ and SSEG registration

You’ve mentioned this before, that you previously had a system registered.

Can I ask why? Were the regulations in place way back when already? My impression at install time (2019) was that this was a grey area with no specific regulations around it.

We had to get it signed off by an Engineer back then already.

At the time I got quotes for like R10k+ ex VAT.

Threw my toys out of the cot … and found real engineers who can sign off for less than half that price.

1 Like

You can. And if my English teacher has anything to say about it, you also may :slight_smile: It was in the bylaws in Cape Town since 2012. Lots of people (including me) did the equivalent of not paying their TV license and banking on nobody really checking up on you, but then around late 2018-ish there was an amnesty period where you could register your system, and I jumped on it. It took over 6 months (for some reason, that is certainly not common here), and by the time they tried sending someone to replace my prepaid meter, I had moved out of the house. But I still paid for someone to do the paperwork, and had the engineer over and everything. Did everything except actually finish the process.

Edit: I probably have to mention, that if I had known I would be selling that house, I would not have gone to the trouble. It came as a complete surprise after a family member fell ill and we were advised to disentangle our financial affairs.

1 Like

Our area was offered a free PAYG meter for one month, I jumped to get one.

As Plonk said, we got 3 months to register, no questions asked, which I then also jumped on and did, the PAYG meter by then already installed.

Took less than 2 months and all the paperwork was done and dusted, had the approvals and contract in place.

@Rautenk was the solar engineer singing off.
My preferred Sparkie, an installation Electrician, was his first Victron install.

Easy peasy.

Now I have to get it updated as the inverter changed, and the panels and batts increased … will get to it one day. Jip, we have to note the new information when things change.

Once they have you on the books though, at least nobody shows up to disconnect your power because “we saw panels on the roof”.

I was told that they use drone footage. Not specifically for this, they need aerial photography for many things, this is just one thing they use it for. The Drones are proper big ones, the ones for which you need a radio license, a flight plan and take-off clearance because it is going to show up on radar. And of course the range of such drones are limited, so people falling within the easy range (of Cape Town International Airport) were a bit easier to get. At least, that is what I heard. No idea how true it is, but if you’re 35km out, then the there-and-back is a tad far.

Still, no reason to keep tempting fate. The process used to be insanely expensive, with installers charging in excess of 10k for a “documentation fee”. It has gotten better.

1 Like

whether drone, actual fixed wing, or satellite - I do not know. Whether they actually check it i do not know, but they can if they want.

Feb 2018 on the left and Jan 2023 on the right. Can even see who got extra panels (and possibly did not get approval…). Random spot Somerset West side:

1 Like

Yes and how much have we learned since then! From that first to doing or being involved in around 5% of the City of Cape Town’s applications for 2023! A bit of self-advertisement, but hey why not! ps. there weren’t THAT many applications!)

@Bobster , if City of Johannesburg require a Pr. then make sure that Blessing does have someone that he uses and it is easy to check, just head over to ECSA.co.za and put in the surname:

Make sure the following:

1. Surname is correct
  2. Use rather the Pr. number
  3. Make sure it is Professional Engineering Technologist

In this case, the City of Cape Town would immediately reject the commissioning report and now suddenly you are on the disconnect list of Cape Town.

The benefit of the engineer sign-off has become apparent. TTT might remember that I stated in the start, that it is a waste. NOW my opinion has changed.

I am always concerned when a “private” individual approaches me. I have seen some scary things! Things that can kill…

It is important to make sure that the engineer follows the requirements for your own peace of mind. The tests are simple and if you have an NRS-certified inverter then mostly pass if the settings are correct.

The true value of the engineer(or technologist) is the overall installation inspection that should be done as well.

The City of Cape Town’s “average” speed for giving reference numbers is now around 2 months! Then you start waiting on the Permission to Install letter, another couple of months.

The quickest one I recently had (full application) was 3 months and I was very surprised!

OT
I suggested that @Bobster should check the Pr.Eng registration requirements but decided to not post the ecsa screenshot since I do not know whether their admin is up to scratch and if he has indeed moved from Candidate to full registration - with the internet having a very long memory it might prejudice the bloke a bit.

1 Like

Thought of reducting it, but this is PUBLIC information on ECSA and you do agree to it being public when you do register.

I reduced it non the less, just because I didn’t want to get on Jaco’s bad side again.

Reason why:
Currently, I have a few clients that have gotten a disconnect notice from Cape Town because a Candidate Engineer signed off their commissioning page and the clients have no recourse. This must stop and according to the ECSA code of conduct these candidates should actually be reported (but that would screw their chances in the future).

1 Like

Indeed! All of these are legal and registered… btw :slight_smile:

January 2020:

January 2021:

And January 2023:

Who ever thought that being good at the game “spot the difference” might actually turn into an asset!?

OT
would it not be easier to prevent the hostages you keep in the basement from reaching the lawn (a lock on the door for instance) than having to redact the “HELP” message on the lawn every year…? :wink: …(yeah probably the property identifier layer)

back to topic

1 Like

So while we’re discussin this. Note that massive North facing roof. There is a reason why 6 panels are concentrated on the eastern side. That’s the part of the roof where you can easily locate the trusses by lifting tiles. The open area next to it, has a knotty pine ceiling, with the the ceiling on TOP of the trusses. So you cannot find them easily by moving tiles.

No, they aren’t evenly spaced, not to the centimeter. So tricks related to measuring from a known point is unlikely to help.

Does anyone know how you mount brackets for panels on these? Cause there is a good 6kWp of wasted space there…

Drill a very small hole from the inside to the left of the truss… you know the truss is then to the right of the hole you see from the outside… you can push a piece of pipe cleaner through to make the holes more visible.

1 Like

That also means getting up high enough on the inside to drill there, which points towards scaffolding rather than ladders, cause I don’t want to fall on anything :slight_smile: However you look at it… not a quick job.

Get Jaco to install - stress free :wink:

I don’t know if they do and I don’t know a way to find out that doesn’t require standing in a line. The paperwork doesn’t say they do or don’t.

I think it is not unreasonable to expect the person assisting (in exchange for remuneration) with the submission of the application to actually be able to answer what the requirements are. How can he/she actually correctly complete the process if not knowing (with reference to rules/legislation/bylaws) what is required?

Most places simply follow/ed/s what Cape Town did, so it is likely that the on paper requirements will look the same. Whether anyone at COJ will check whether the person is registered only time will tell.

Older info floating around online suggests ECSA registration would be required by COJ
from 2019

There is also the possibility of “Industry accredited installers” being able to sign-off the install but that requires SANS10142-1-2 to be published and I do not think it is yet.

EDIT: seems SANS10142-1-2 is published/active - this could possibly leave space to allow a municipality to require ECSA registration or another Industry accredited qualification. They (municipality) should still say what is required and person claiming to be able to sign-off should be able to reference this.

1 Like

Nope they retracted it, was released for a whole week! Still unhappy about the donation I have SABS to get that and then it became useless.

But you are right, majority of the municipalities that follow the AMEU process will require you to get a Pr. to sign-off.

A few (Plett for example) allow a suitably qualified and trained person (with P4. or Green Card) to sign-off.

You said that … me, FWIW, at the time I thought, nee wag so bietjie boet, you KNOW stuff looks for you to go wrong at, get an opinion or two in that may know a ton more than you do … so far it works. :laughing:

thanks for the correction :+1: