CoCT and Feed-in Tariff

Today I was driving past one of the Eskom peaking hydro power stations in the Drakensberg (Kilburn dam) and went to have a look.
There were Eskom staff all over the place but there were also a parking lot full of contractor vehicles. I asked what was happening and was told one of the generators had failed.
What comforted me about learning this is that Eskom is clearly using these peaking stations and that contractors are there as well to keep the system up and running.

1 Like

Just found this … Eskom’s view:
Connect Prosumer SSEG[82].pdf (577.9 KB)

In that Doc, I see they are slowly getting serious …

All and all, similar to what CoCT did years ago, for connecting SSEF to their grid.

///////////////////a couple of things stand out here. The first is “receive a quotation from eskom” and the other is “pay the application fee”.

Registering with the CoCT is free. Looks like Eskom is planning on making some money off of this.

1 Like

Eskom: the generation, transmission and distribution of paperwork.
ESKOM, has outsourced to 3rd party outsourced meter readers.
They can’t afford their people to visit your installation.
Last time, I enquired about how to register with ESKOM there was no reply, on further enquiry apparently you they’d stopped it because they had enough problems to deal with at the time.
It just flying a kite, don’t worry about it.

Eskom: We need Oracle people please… to do everything… (this is going to be a HUGE issue for them).

Wait for their first major Database Crash or corruption…

I’m a direct eskom customer, I also asked about solar installs and how to register, got nothing but chirping crickets.

Eskom can’t be seen to condone your connection.
But in reality, they’ve got 10’s of thousands of non-paying illegal connections in the townships to deal with without upsetting paying customers, who are doing what they want and using less of their product.
It’ll be a long time before they get around to you unless you are sleeping with the neighbour’s wife and he works for Eskom.

2 Likes

Unless you have a parate local Eskom branch … like maybe in and around CoCT and some surrounds.

They must be new staff.
Once you’ve worked for Eskom for seven years, you’ll never work again.

1 Like

I smell a rat here: Why the alarm bells about unauthorised SSEG connections?
This explains why no one is raising their hand when asked if they are feeding into the grid…

Unless you going to benefit by feeding back and have the correct meter installed ect than its pretty pointless to feed back to the grid just for the sake of it. Most meters if not set up specifically for back feed will actually charge you for feeding back at the same rate as if it were supplying or if it doesn’t do that they can trip. So I think most with solar don’t feed back.

There are still plenty of electromechanical meters which will rotate in the reverse direction when power flows back to the grid. I have two of these in my house (but I am not feeding back into the grid :frowning: )

I guess the question @Richard_Mackay is why not :wink:

1 Like

My question as well…

Because I’m one of the last honest electricity consumers… :smiley:

1 Like

So are we all here … :raised_hand:

1 Like

If I was oh say, a person who happened to have been tasked for a few years to look into my country’s power utility issues. Then say, I became president and installed my brother-in-law as minister of energy affairs, who in turn forced the hand of the utility to buy solar power at inflated prices from our other mutual billionaire previously disadvantaged brother-in-law.

That would be legal, but is it honest?

If this were medieval times sir, you would be like a serf taking advantage of an opportunity to grow enough food to feed your family, without paying the king’s tax. That would not be legal, but is it immoral?

Here you are bending over backwards to be legal, it is easy to be legal if you write the laws. That you can’t is a function of your station in society, all the best people are doing it.

Apartheid, the american revolution and every anti-oppressive revolution you care to mention weren’t halted by people being meek and compliant. If someone can still win a hand, in a deck that is this stacked against them, I won’t judge them.

Hush, these things of which you speak are for dark corners in whispered tones, lest the boogeyman hears you. They are things of our forefathers, extinct like dragons and faeries, best consigned to myth and legend. The less said the better.

2 Likes

It was one of those mind-blown times for me, they day when I realised that the term “murder” is in fact a legal thing. What makes it murder is that there is a law against it. If there is no law… then it is mere “killing”. The particular case in point was “State vs Mshumpa”, where a baby was literally murdered in utero… but could not be prosecuted as such. Yeah… bit of an OT detour… but the world is a scary place sometimes.

Has anyone been cautioned about exceeding the 12 month net consumer of electricity rule by CoCT? I’m wondering how this is managed as your account statement does not provide the current 12 month import / export totals Now the excuse of it potentially requiring a NERSA generating licence falls by the wayside with the recent 100MW limit for not requiring a permit to generate surely

This wasn’t the only issue as I recall: CoCT is still not authorised to purchase net electricity from you. They’re bypassing the purchase rule by saying “Look, over 12m, we’re not actually buying anything, mmmmkay?”

Under that Nersa rule, you’re allowed to generate it, but CoCT still can’t buy it.