Circuit breakers in combiner boxes

What did you use to protect your cables??

15mm black irrigation pipe, got plenty of those here.

And overload protection?

An idea that has been discussed:

Get the right ones though:

Fuses as per panel spec?

So no circuit breakers or surge arrestors??

Sure, you can put surge arrestors in the combiner box. That’s usually where I see them. You can put breakers in there as well, if you really want to, but fuses are more commonly used. Cheaper.

Remember also, the panel can only do its I_sc current when you short circuit it, and your fuse/breaker and cable has to be higher than that (by about 20%) anyway. Unless something catastrophic goes wrong, the fuse/breaker is never going to blow. By using breakers, you are implementing an easy-reset which will never be used, and cost you extra money :slight_smile:

MCB’s can also be used for on-load isolation of the circuits. Pulling fuses on-load is do-able but can be a bit scary to some people.
I don’t like fuses in this scenario because as you rightly state they have to be just a little bit oversized to have any practical worth. That means you are at the mercy of a nuisance fuse blowing. Now you would be faced with the prospect of spending time fault-finding and waiting until nighttime to replace the fuse.
Of course, you could have faith in your testing and replace the fuse on a possible fault, not just on load.
Which is a whole order scarier.

I like the circuit breaker concept especially if you have combined 2 arrays. See: Undoing overpanelling by adding an MPPT - #13 by Richard_Mackay
I would want to see the current each array is drawing at any stage. This is easily done if you have a CB rather than disconnect fuses or switches…