Cape Town pays for Domestic Solar Power

Regarding CoCT net consumer requirement, only 3 year “cash for power” contract , NERSA/IPP and everyone playing 3D chess etc.

tldr → CoCT could drop the net consumer requirement after changing their own procurement processes with permission from National Treasury. 3 year contract limit is a procurement/supply chain rule requirement - otherwise it will be a much longer convoluted process allowing for public comment etc. for every application.

/wall of text/graphic/monsters be beyond here

History:

January 2024

National Treasury granted the Cape Town an exemption from competitive bidding / tendering processes that may otherwise apply to this process using section 3 of the Preferential Public Procurement Framework Act
The exemption is necessary because South Africa’s Public finance legislation did not foresee energy procurement from independent power producers, only from ESKOM.
*emphasis my own

or in other words:

this point meant facing “administrative, legal and bureacractic hurdles” from national regulation - in particular, procurement processes. He explained that in order to spend public money to buy power from its customers, the City would be required to launch a tender process, which is impractical and doesn’t make sense for what it wants to achieve.

“The way the tender laws were written, before we had a competitive energy grid and the possibility of SSEG (small-scale embedded generation),” said Hill-Lewis. The customers are not competing on the product offered - which is energy - nor on the price, because the municipality sets the tariff.
*emphasis my own

CoCT Cash for Power application info February 2024

3Years_Requirement

CoCT Supply Chain rule

Supply_Chain_Rule

If wanting a contract for longer than 3 years with the municipality the following would apply:

1. (1) A municipality may enter into a contract which will impose financial
    obligations on the municipality beyond a financial year, but if the contract will impose
    financial obligations on the municipality beyond the three years covered in the annual
    budget for that financial year, it may do so only if—
    *(a) the municipal manager, at least 60 days before the meeting of the municipal
    council at which the contract is to be approved—
    (i) has, in accordance with section 21A of the Municipal Systems Act—
    (aa) made public the draft contract and an information statement
    summarising the municipality’s obligations in terms of the proposed
    contract; and
    (bb) invited the local community and other interested persons to submit
    to the municipality comments or representations in respect of the
    proposed contract; and
    (ii) has solicited the views and recommendations of—
    (aa) the National Treasury and the relevant provincial treasury;
    (bb) the national department responsible for local government; and
    (cc) if the contract involves the provision of water, sanitation, electricity,
    or any other service as may be prescribed, the responsible national
    department;
    *(b) the municipal council has taken into account—
    (i) the municipality’s projected financial obligations in terms of the
    proposed contract for each financial year covered by the contract;
    (ii) the impact of those financial obligations on the municipality’s future
    municipal tariffs and revenue;
    (iii) any comments or representations on the proposed contract received from
    the local community and other interested persons; and
    (iv) any written views and recommendations on the proposed contract by the
    National Treasury, the relevant provincial treasury, the national department
    responsible for local government and any national department
    referred to in paragraph (a)(ii)(cc); and
    *(c) the municipal council has adopted a resolution in which—
    (i) it determines that the municipality will secure a significant capital
    investment or will derive a significant financial economic or financial
    benefit from the contract;
    (ii) it approves the entire contract exactly as it is to be executed; and
    (iii) it authorises the municipal manager to sign the contract on behalf of the
    municipality.

Nice thorough overview of the legal side of the procurement legislation relevant here.

1 Like

But this isn’t why that rule is really there. It’s there so that, for example, COCT can negotiate a deal with a fleet management company to provide all the vehicles that the municipality needs. Then after three years they have to renegotiate and the current provider cannot bid for the business unless there are no other credible bidders. This is to push against monopolies and also against deals done with companies where the City Manager’s uncle just happens to sit on the board.

@mmaritz it might be worthwhile to split out the CoCT cash for domestic power content from here and merge with @WynandV’s thread ?

Sorted. Thread has been moved.

It’s an election year. They don’t just want the good Citizens of Cape Town to take that propaganda news on board. They want the whole country to get the message.

1 Like

Can anyone help with info please. I am looking for a sample domestic electricity bill for COCT and maybe another but smaller town (Knysna?) in the WC that allows SSEG and bills TOU.

My muni has decided on some exorbitant tariffs and I’m keen to do a comparison.

Tariffs will all be in the public domain.

But it’s a complicated question. Eskom and some municipalities will have lower tariffs for those that qualify as indigent, so knowing that you are comparing two naartjies of the same cultivar can be tricky.

It has recently become obvious in Johannesburg that a lot of people who qualify for various concessions have not applied for them, probably didn’t even know that the concessions were available.

Sure understood. Just keen to see what the bill (tariffs/charges section) looks like…

One muni doesn’t have to charge the same as another, or even apply the same increases. There are, for example, significant differences between Jo’burg and Cape Town (Jo’burg has a lower kWh cost, but much higher fixed charges).

BUT they are all supposed to do a cost study when they apply to NERSA for a tariff increase, and there is a dispute as to whether or not some municipalities filed properly completed applications to NERSA.

There are even significant tariff differences within Johannesburg, where, for most homes, there are still good savings to be had by being on pre-paid.

1 Like

Not mine but he posted it in the public domain…

the online billing system does indicate TOU in a graph format but I do not think CoCT bills residential users TOU.

SSEG Bill Example:

If looking at getting involved with the muni system the following might have some useful info link . (you might notice CoCT making use of SAP - the linked doc has some info in this regard).

1 Like

Thanks so much. Very interesting and helpful.

1 Like