BlueNova LiFePO4 drop-in replacements

I am not aware of any reason why the BN batteries can not be series or parallel connected - something that is important is that little grey sticker with the “1075-4” number on. These are batch numbers as far as I know so, batteries should be from the same series if you want to series/parallel (the batteries should all be from the “1075 group” (1075-4 & 1075-32 should be good but 1075-4 and 1076-4 not). I believe this should help have less variance between cells.

When I originally asked BN (more than 2 years ago) about series connetion this was the response:

For Series configuration preparation:
Charge each battery individually till they are all fully charged.
Connect all batteries that will be in the same series string in parallel, and charge together till they are full.( draw less than 1Amp from the charger if this can be measured).
Connect in series and charge with your series configured charger. Please take note of the batteries charge voltage and current specifications on our website, as this would be crucial for your warranty.

Parallel Configuration connection:
Charge each battery individually till they are all fully charged.
Connect all batteries that will be in the same parallel string in parallel, and charge together till they are full.( draw less than 1Amp from the charger if this can be measured).
Connect to your charger for parallel configuration.
Please take note of the batteries charge voltage and current specifications on our website, as this would be crucial for your warranty.

I suspect a problem with “dumb” (non-communicating) batteries epecially when people start paralleling is that they believe they can also increase charge/discharge rate and then start popping BMS’s.

assume you referring to the requirement of a balancer? More and more of the “drop-in” replacements are starting to specify the requirement. I have two series connected BN 8Ah batteries running the garage door motors and they are definitely sitting at different voltages ( I will still check them out in more detail at some stage to see if I think the absence of a balancer is/was a problem).

1 Like

Methinks, I’m not going to use 12v Lifepo4 cells in my 48v APC. Too much hassle and the costs are not to be ignored. Worst case, I can use the big bank.

In the meantime, as LS is back, I got 4 x 12v 7ah for like R876 for now. I need protection for the fridge/freezers and against myself.

FWIW, on my 24v 700va APC, this bank has been in it for like 2 years. Was cheaper at the time than 4 x 12v batts it needs.

Now I’m thinking I must reconfigure that 24v bank into 48v and use the “moerse groot” JBD BMS I have spare. :thinking:

Will think about doing that when the wife starts dishing out tasks around the house for me to do.

1 Like