BlueNova LiFePO4 drop-in replacements

Usually the 7 Ah LA in the gate motor lasted 2 years max, with all the load shedding we had the last year, I doubt a LA would have lasted this single year.
One day a few months ago I remember as things went my gate opened and closed at least 10 times the morning during load shedding and the early evening we had load shedding again, and again it got opened a few times. That day alone would have permanently damaged a LA.

I paid around R900 for the 8 Ah Blue Nova think January this year, but I see they are now going for around R750.
If it lasts 4, 5 years I’ll be happy, but I’m sure it will last longer.

1 Like

Hi could you post where you purchase these batteries? I am in CT, hopefully the retailer has a branch in CT as well?

Ok found supplier. I hope these will work on garage motors as well.

They have a big branch in Somerset West: 2 Erica Way, Somerset West Business Park, Cape Town, 7130

Since this thread started I’ve installed the BlueNova 7ah equivalent in my alarm system and Centurion sliding gate motor.

No issues whatsoever. Drop & go :slight_smile:

Well 7 months in, I can report my 8Ah Blue Nova is still kicking strong.
Even after a little incident earlier this year, the AC charger cable of my gate motor vibrated loose and the battery was left to discharge until the gate could no longer open, I just reconnected the charger and it charged back up and still works perfectly. If that was a LA battery it would have been toast already.

2 Likes

So now my garage battery has packed up as well. It’s a 24v 3.5Ah lead-acid, so it wasn’t long for this world anyways.

Does anyone have experience of a 24v lithium replacement, or would it work to put 2x 12v in series? I know some lithiums don’t like that.

Here is another battery type, drop in replacement.

Thanks, I see they specifically say it supports serial & parallel connections. :+1:

5A is a bit low for heavy garage doors. I don’t see a “maximum discharge” current only a “maximum continuous discharge” current.

Good point. I see the BlueNova is 7.2Ah for 30s burst.

5A x 12v x2 does give 120W though, so I’m willing to risk it. Securiprod does make pretty good products overall.

Also, I can open the door with one hand due to the spring coils, so it’s well balanced.

Will report back :slight_smile:

I emailed BlueNova a while back just to confirm, and they said yes, first put the batteries in parallel get them fully charged, then you can put them in series.

1 Like

Has anyone measured the voltage on these 7Ah batts??

No, but it is 4 LFP cells in series, so you would expect it to be between 12.8V (3.2V) and 14.5V (3.65V). Ideally these batteries should be kept under 14.2V of course.

1 Like

A typical smart lead acid battery charger has a voltage ramp that attempts to charge the battery voltage up to a float voltage but as soon as it reaches this voltage it drops the voltage down to the regular 13.8V (for a 12V battery)
This then repeats so that it doesn’t maintain a high battery voltage. On the charger I have I measured 14.45V as a peak voltage (attached)
This would exceed the LiFePO4 charge voltage…
PA-120-spec.pdf (180.3 KB)

Curios if these things don’t just maybe have a little built in buck convertor or voltage limiter circuit or something that just blocks/limits/alters things when lead acid chargers feed them too much. (Like a really primitive BMS of sorts?)
Would not be 100% optimal or perfect/ideal or whatever but would be “good enough” I imagine?

Something like that might explain how they can confidently call it a lead acid drop in replacement.

1 Like

It charges it up to an absorption voltage, which is typically 14.5V, and then it drops back to a float voltage, which is 13.5 to 13.8V. That is IF it has a proper three-stage charger. Many many alarms and gate motors and things like that don’t have a three-stage charger and instead just always charges to around 13.5V. Which, ironically, is better for these LFP replacements.

The issue with a 14.5V absorption voltage is that if the battery is at all imbalanced, it’s going to spike some of those cells quite high. Even with a perfectly balanced battery it already needs to go to 3.65V per cell.

1 Like

I haven’t seen a Li-Ion battery pack without a BMS. This will at least disconnect the battery when one cell goes out of limits. But this isn’t a complaint I have read about with these.
Current limit is however…
What happens to these cells when you overcook them? Has anyone done this and can share their experience :thinking:

1 Like

A systematic approach was taken to investigate the effects of overcharge with different SOCs
on the cycle performance of A123 18650 cells. Using a normal cycle, where a cell is charged to
100% SOC, the cycle life for the A123 18650 LiFePO4cell reached over 1950 cycles with 80%
capacity (typical criteria for EV application) and 2600 cycles with 60% capacity; however, the
overcharge process had a signicant impact on cycle performance. When the cells were charged
to 105%, 110%, 115%, and 120% SOC, the cells failed after 100 cycles, 11 cycles, 5 cycles, and
3 cycles, respectively.

2 Likes

And any info about over discharging?

1 Like