Best solution for a 3-phase home

Well, AFAIK in the case of the 12kW Sunsynk you can go to 6kW on a single phase, as long as you stay below 12kW across all phases. Some inverters require the phases to be absolutely balanced - which simplifies the design a lot. (those will be grid-tied only, then balancing is easy as long as you can export)

2 Likes

Thanks @_a_a_a thatā€™s very interesting, I didnā€™t know that. I still think I would probably go for the either the 16kw beast or maybe just add another 8 if I had to change now as I am already all converted to single phase. Would really like to get more batteries right now and was thinking of getting an EV to use as a mobile battery bank :slight_smile:

I want to latch on here.
On a property with 3 phase, direct Escom client, old disk meter.
If wanting to start small as in Solis mini 3 kVA grid tied, can I just put the Solis on one of the phases, or will I have to start out with a 3 phase inverter?

Eventual idea is to expand in future, going Fronius AC PV and then Victron on the phase feeding the house, but want to start small.

Yes, put it on your heaviest loaded phase during the day.

2 Likes

Thanks, idea is to put it on the phase where the borehole pump, pool pump and ppressure pumps live.

1 Like

This is not legal, so I would never suggest that you do it:

Hypothetically, as long as you donā€™t create more solar power than the combined loads of all 3 phases, the disc will still turn in the correct direction ( just slower).
Then the meter reader will be none the wiser if you are exporting power on 1 phase and you will be getting 1:1 relief on your bill with a single-phase device.