Aircon install

My problem is that the garage does not have space for more tools and I don’t have that much time. So now I have to start outsourcing some jobs

Hoe se ons in afrikaans " Jy kan nooit te veel tools he nie" :laughing: between me and my father we have more then enough tools to do what we need to do. One thing I still want to get for my self is a milling machine. Lathe I already got.

The more tools that TTT gets … the more stuff he breaks.

Once he rented an electric saw … man, he “fixed” Everything … till his wife threw it all away.

Another time he rented a high-pressure water washer to prepare the house for painting … after a few bricks were blown out of the wall, a wooden gate was damaged, it broke. His wifey was very relieved.

There is something to be said for pals that have what is needed, and ask THEM to do the cutting/drilling/bending/sawing.

Just never borrow it …

I very very almost damaged an intercooler in a vehicle while using a pressure washer (not the really high-pressure ones, the ones you buy specifically to wash cars and driveways and stuff) to get dead grashoppers off the front. Thankfully realised very quickly when the damage was just a few flat fins… basically the only allowed setting is the “fine mist” setting. Anything that makes a stream of some kind… not to be used on vehicles.

There were delivered this week…

Some more electrical tools I use, some old, some new. Torq screwdriver for DB board work, NCV probes, mini 1/4” ratcheting screwdriver, yes that is the mini Facom ratchet one.

Groetnis

How many 10mm spanners have you got? :joy:

With drilling big holes threw double brick walls I learned a long time ago that it’s much easier to just hire a Hilti SDS machine from Coastal Hire for the day.

Hey, 10 and 13mm probably none at the moment… There is a black hole that swallows those around my place somewhere…

Groetnis

Ja broer, exaccatally my probleem, have a SDS drill but need to go get the core drill for it still, 65 or 70mm hole, and the bricks were made in 19voetsek sometime, so they are bloody hard.

Groetnis

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve got that one too. Then you look at the core drills, and you see that what you really need is SDS-Max. You get large core drills for SDS-plus, but they cost a little more. At that point I’m in agreement with @JN.V, that renting one from a tool place might be the better option.

Lately however, the tool place I rent from gives me a cheaper drill, the last time literally a normal non-SDS drill with a modified chuck… because they got tired of people messing up the expensive SDS-Max equipment. So you shouldn’t necessarily count on getting the nice stuff.

Hence me asking :slight_smile: The other thing that happens is you buy a new one and then you find the one you “lost” later, ending up with more than one. Then you get into this absurd situation where you know you have 3 x 10mm spanners… and all three of them are missing today.

Other things I have multiples of: Pipe thread seal tape, and electrical insulation tape. I’m never sure if I have any, so I always buy more. The result is that I have rolls of tape in multiple boxes all over the place.

1 Like

I hear you brother :slight_smile: I buy things like consumables for specific purposes of late. I have a stack of electrical tape on my electronics workbench, a few rolls in my box of pneumatic spares and fittings plus the rolls of teflon tape. a few more rolls in my main toolbox, a few on a sling outside my backpack toolbar, more rolls in my roller toolbox with the rest of the electrical tools. There is a common link here, tools with and for a purpose together.

I have based this somewhat on KanBan principles. I have lost a big torque wrench, and multiple other tools, some just misplaced, some really missing. I have a big torque wrench just for my milling machine as I needed insert tooling for the tool holding system.

A small insert style Torque wrench for HVAC, it takes the same fittings as the big one, plus more normal torque wrenches for working on cars and other things. Got a few old VW air-cooled projects around.

So of late, its tools and storage per whatever type is required, keeping them tools together and organised. It helps… but only somewhat

Groetnis

OOOooooo tell us a bit more on this part…

Everything rust here by us, so for me it is better to have fewer left over pieces after each build.

Whahahaha, I can only wish. My piles only get bigger after every project

Groetnis

Got a 62 German 6V beetle, still original, a bit rough around the edges. Need to fix a few things, brakes are gone. But rest are good apart from paint and a few rust spots. Mechanically excellent.

Then got my dad’s original 74, a Variant parts car, another late 60s parts Beetle, a Brazilian single cab wide body with snorkel and a project Beetle that I am busy modding. Then a single cab parts bakkie. Well now, I was busy modding the project beetle, but the workshop got to full from other project stuff, so that is stalled for now, been for a few years.

I am planning to add 2 containers for storage, and some undercover roof space to store all these things. Also have a Landy, a Chevy 56 bake badly rusted for a one day when I have some time. Now just need to find me a Jag XJS for the suspension…

Groetnis

Go to another tool rental place, at my local Coastal Hire you can even choose between different brands, basically the same machine and cost but you can choose between Hilti, Makita and DeWalt, that Coastal Hire is really awesome. The only thing they no longer do is drill bits for steel, since they say people mess them up very quickly, so they’ll rent you the machine and you can buy a new steel bit from them.

1 Like

I do aircons and solar for an extra income. I enjoyed this post. My question at the end of the day is, after doing everything yourself can you see doing it for cheeper than the profesionals if you had to do it on a daily basis? I am not asking this Q to be funny but would realy like to know what your experince was.

1 Like

I do not think, with proper tools etc.included, it will be cheaper, but man it will be better. The system, if done correctly, will last so much longer, and work better, that in the long run, it may well work out much cheaper.

Groetnis